record format?, how to pre-fill text with layer name

Ride

When I need to create a bunch of CNC files for millwork parts, I create a layer called 'cnc 1', and paste all the parts on this layer. I then start arranging the parts on the sheet, and when it's full I duplicate the layer, rename it 'cnc 2', and then carry-on with the remaining parts. 

Is it possible to have the title over each sheet inherit the name of the design layer? Then when I duplicate the layer, the title of the sheet is updated. It would save editing this text every time, and eliminate any possible errors.

Thanks for any help!

1932870427_ScreenShot2022-02-06at08_56_33.thumb.png.6cf5e5f3ee4d01f63076b3d833af7a50.png

A data tag will handle this pretty easily.

In the attached file the data tag automatically picks up the name of the design layer.  For the material I used the layer description - just because it was there and easy, but you could also just use a plain data field.  Double click on the tag and you will get a dialog window and you can enter the material.  If you open the organization window you will be able to edit the layer and there is a button to get to the layer description that way too.

I made this in 2022, but I think it should also work in 2021.

I may have misunderstood the whole question - do you also need to name sheet layers?

CNC v2021.vwx CNC.vwx

• Like 1