Custom Cable Lengths

I use 1m, 2.5m, 5m, 7.5m 10m, 15m, 20m and 30m lengths of 16a/1, True1 and signal. How do I get the 2.5m, 7.5m, 15m and 30m lengths into the new cable tool? It was easy before. Now the help feature just says:

Advanced users can edit, add, or remove items from the cable parts list. Edit the symbols in the Cable Tools folder in the [User]\Libraries\Defaults folder. Click Update in the Manage Cable Parts dialog box to refresh the cable parts list.

I've followed this to an XML text file that I've gathered is where the info is held, do I need to add through this and create the cable I need this way?

Many thanks, Matt.

You need to navigate to either the Cable Tools folder in the Defaults folder in the Application Library and edit the individual libraries.  Or you can create your own in your user folder using the same file path that the Application Folder uses.

Open Manage Cable Parts and click Update and any new cables will (hopefully) be there. Any new symbols you create must have the Cable Parts record attached and filled in.

The XML file is generated by the Manage Cable Paths "Update" button and you don't need to touch it.

Brilliant, thanks very much. It'll take me a while to make my own, each with the colour code the company I do most of my work for but I do see the value in that. Would it be possible to create a saved set inventory for each hire company? I don't want to trawl through turning on or off loads of cable lengths/types depending on where my kit is coming from on a particular show. I never use Harting or Shucko or many of the other types and I know I can turn them off but an opt in (to a user set) rather than opt out of a general set would be really handy.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 2/5/2022 at 8:19 PM, Monkeypuzzle said:

Would it be possible to create a saved set inventory for each hire company? I don't want to trawl through turning on or off loads of cable lengths/types depending on where my kit is coming from on a particular show. I never use Harting or Shucko or many of the other types and I know I can turn them off but an opt in (to a user set) rather than opt out of a general set would be really handy.

You can use the cable set feature for this.

When you have created your new cable parts use the Manage cable parts dialogue to change the set name for each part you wish to have in the new set (this has to be done in the cable parts library file).
Once you have changed the set name (or unchecked the use column) save the library file, open a new empty file, reopen the manage cable parts dialogue and hit the update button to import the changes. The new cable set will now be available in the cable preferences dialogue, select the set you wish to use in the dropdown and it will control which cable parts are available to the cable tools while drawing, based on the set you have chosen

The manage cable parts dialogue is primarily designed to be used in the cable parts library files, any changes you make using it will only be saved into the currently open file, so if you edit parts in the library file with it you will only have to make the changes once, where as if you edit your active show file the changes will only apply to that file.