Gates

Landartma

So I am placing a fence on a clients property.  I come to figure out that there is no gate tool with in the fence option or with in the door option.  Am I missing something.  I'd expect it to be right there with the fence tool or even in the door tool.  Do we not have one?  If not whats the work around.

• Like 1

I think you would have to misuse the Curtain Wall Tool.

I did not try but I am positive that you could mostly get a similar fence geometry from it,

can manually add/delete to the posts or bars and insert Doors or Windows.

I lately used the Railing Tool - for a simple Railing on a Roof and was a bit disappointed

to not be able to orient my posts to where I need.

(For the next iteration I will try the CW Tool instead.

But in your case, it may be just easier to just interrupt the Railing and add a custom Door (?)

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2

That's what I did.  The door tool works fine.  But since a fence is not a wall the offset insertion mode does not work correct?   Therefore the door tool will not remove the section of fence automatically?  The gate will need to be built up to the gate then continued on the other side of the gate?  Then still the matter of making the two appear the same.  I'm guessing that if needed matching textures could be applied.

40 minutes ago, Landartma said:

But since a fence is not a wall the offset insertion mode does not work correct?   Therefore the door tool will not remove the section of fence automatically?  The gate will need to be built up to the gate then continued on the other side of the gate?  Then still the matter of making the two appear the same.  I'm guessing that if needed matching textures could be applied.

AFAIK

unfortunately, all yes.

• Like 1

That's what I did.  The door tool worked fine. However, it will not automatically remove and reconfigure the fence posts and panels.  So essentially the doors must be placed in the desired place and fence be drawn to it from both sides correct?  As far as rendering, texturing etc.  I have the fence in shaded mode and that will work for now.  The gate symbol I created from the door tool won't show its in shaded mode.  In fact I can't get any color to apply to it.  I'm not sure if I'm having a class issue or an object issue.  The class dropdown at the top of the OIP is grayed out, indicates its in the none class but so is the fence and the fence is shaded.  The difference I see is that one is a door symbol and the other is a railing fence symbol.  What setting am I missing?329689193_Screenshot(74).thumb.png.28a578a3e9030d5684e52277c6873ab2.png

Correct.  The door (or window) will not interact with the fence/railing tool.  Only walls can do that.

To get the correct color or texture on the door you need to do it by class for each part of the door.

Select the door > OIP > Settings… > Classes.  The visibility and attributes of each part of the door is controlled by those class settings.

• Like 1