2022 New texture tool

spries

3 minutes ago, spries said:

but the width is off. 

I learned that too ....

I had a rectangle to map with a stencil Texture for a logo.

I even dimensioned the rectangle to n-times the pixel amount.

Same for the RW Material size.

But the resulting Map was only about 90% in size.

AFAIK in both directions here.

Height and width, maybe wrong aspect ratio too.

It looks like you've created the texture with each segment being 600mm, but each of those segments of the actual geometry is angled in plan view. When you project the texture as a plane from the front view, it's not taking those angles into consideration. This isn't related to the changes in 2022, it's just a matter of how plane mapping works compared to your geometry.

761930680_ScreenShot2022-02-01at10_59_22AM.thumb.png.d8b490a69baf165c22a7682175642b98.png

If you want to use Plane mapping like you have, you'd need to make each segment in the image the width that the geometry appears to be in front view (543.8mm), OR if you want to keep the image with the correct proportions, you could texture map each segment individually so that the plane of the texture is aligned with the plane of each segment.

• Like 3

I just realized there's also a separate factor here... in 2021 the default "Perimeter" option automatically gets you what you want (with some flipping of the texture), while in 2022 the default Surface UV option (which replaced Perimeter) doesn't, since it seems that each segment uses its own origin instead of considering the whole polyline.

2022:

864800180_ScreenShot2022-02-01at11_04_41AM.thumb.png.c31e7b3f8ac8abbf631b596ba444d6d3.png

2021:

411429653_ScreenShot2022-02-01at11_04_57AM.thumb.png.2ebda493c8e96e29635d5697331d98fa.png

@Shengxi Wu might be able to provide some insight into why these options are providing different results, and if there's a way to make 2022 behave the way the "Perimeter" option used to.

• Like 4

Just want to point out for my case,

My Logo geometry was oriented in a standard side view,

and I went through all mapping options, size was just off

and I wondered.

I am not sure, but I think I worked with real world size Textures in the past,

like for Brick sizes and such, and if I would have noticed such problems,

I likely would remember.

And I am not sure if it was already SP2 (likely) but did not try SP 2.1 so far.

Guest Shengxi Wu
4 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

@Shengxi Wu might be able to provide some insight into why these options are providing different results, and if there's a way to make 2022 behave the way the "Perimeter" option used to.

The "Perimeter" is now a legacy map type that will no longer be supported in VW2022. This old map type accumulates values as it walks along the profile, "Surface UV" on the other hand like you've mentioned, treats every surface as its own world and the previous ones don’t affect the next one.

I just consulted some experts from our team. Since "Perimeter" is discontinued, you would need to shift each one over to get a seamless continuous mapping.