What is the deal with the 'Screen Aligned' mode?

19 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

If it were me, I'd code it so that "Paste" always pastes planar objects to the Active Plane, and "Paste in Place" pastes to whichever plane they were initially on.

Doesn't there really need to be a third paste option?

Paste

Paste In Place -puts object on Active Plane, but does not reorient

Paste in Relative Place (please don't use this name) that does what Paste In Place does on the Screen Plane by locating objects relative to the original position.

• Like 4

Pat, agree, but note how convoluted we are getting to achieve the same results we can get simply and elegantly from the Screen Plane object that is already built into VW.  

(BTW, when I want to get a relational geometric reference point I sometimes copy and paste a group of objects where a locus or rectangle corner represents a desired alignment, i.e., I don’t always rely on paste in place.)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, P Retondo said:

Pat, agree, but note how convoluted we are getting to achieve the same results we can get simply and elegantly from the Screen Plane object that is already built into VW.  

True, but in my NHSO, Vectorworks (company) does not change things just for the sake of changing them. There is either a change in hardware  or operating system that requires the change or something in the underlying code that makes what is being deprecated challenging or impossible to maintain while still moving forward with the other things they feel will make the overall program better.

My guess (completely unfounded on anything other that having watched the progress of VW for almost 30 years)  is that Screen Plane will continue in it present "deprecated" state for at least VW2023 and probably longer. What ever final version has screen plane will then be reasonable to run for at least 5 years without making outrageous compromises.

So if screen plane is critical to your need, you have between 5 and 10 years before you will "have" to make a change. But 5-10 years is a long time in software and there are likely to be other, possibly better workflows long before then.

One of the great things about VW is that it allows so many different workflows. But that is also one of the worst things.

I just try and help everyone understand what the program is capable of and to find the workflow that works best for them.

• Like 4