Inserting same window on different layers

I'm working on a model/plans. I'm placing a window on the ground floor and the same window on all the upper floors. My usual strategy is to copy paste and then drag it into wall to insert, for each layer/floor. Is there a better way to duplicate this window for each floor/layer and have it insert into the wall?

Out of the wall and window? My walls are already drawn. What I was wondering is whether there's a way to replicate the window up all the floors and have insert into the wall for each floor when I copy and paste it to each floor. As it stands I need to drag it into the wall at each floor to get it to insert.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What I meant was, you could select the window, make a symbol out of it. This will preserve all its settings and geometry. Then you don't have to paste and drag, just click to insert at all other locations.

Alternatively, if the windows AND the wall are identical on each floor, just copy the wall-with-windows and paste in place on the other floors.

Yeah the symbol insert tool could be used (by the way my window is already a symbol) but that means I have to position the window correctly for each floor/layer (whereas when I copy and paste for instance it's already in the right position).

My floors aren't all the same so doing one layer and then copying it (walls and windows) up wouldn't work.

I guess what would be cool is a copy and 'paste insert' tool. Or am I missing an insert tool technique maybe?

[ 07-01-2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Christiaan ]

Christian, there are a couple things I can think of that might make placement a little easier.

One would be if you have a grid set up that is visible in conjunction with any individual floor layer and saved in the views menu. That would allow you to set a locus or other object that is snappable from all floor layers.

Another handy item is using the symbol offset insertion mode in conjunction with the snap to distance. If a series of windows are the same distance from a corner or other snappable point you can very quickly set this as your distance and run through the layers inserting by snapping 'Along Line'.

[ 07-01-2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Delmer ]

Hey Christian, I have another (maybe dumb) suggestion: If all of your floors have the same footprint (ie if they are stacked directly above one another) you could just select all of the walls on one layer, with windows already inserted, and copy and paste in place on the other layer(s). ???? OH duh! Robt already said that didn't he!

[ 07-01-2005, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: CipesDesign ]

You could also put a "standard" window on each floor in the correct location and then use the eyedropper tool (with "plug in parameters selected) to pick uo the attributes of the window you want and then apply the same attibutes to the windows on the other layers with the eyedropper.

BG

Thanks for the myriad of hints guys. The two methods I found the best was a variation on Delmer's, where I placed the ground floor window, left this layer on and then tabbed up through the other floors snapping to the ground floor window.

The other method, slightly more clicks but ultimately accurate, was to use the symbol offset insertion mode in conjunction with snap to distance, again as suggested by Delmer.

Using a grid is another good suggestion (very handy for brick buildings too).

Thanks again.