2022 Stability

Matisse

Question

Anyone else having stability issues with the new Macbook Pro and VW2022?

I have experienced multiple crashes that eventually crash the entire system and restart.  In all of my previous years of Intel Macs I can only recall this happening once or twice in an extreme rendering.  If I force quit the program, it will not spread to the system.  Part of the frustrating side effects of this, is crash logs aren't generated to send to Apple.

I can't confirm the following, but it feels like it is happening on view change/zoom.

Things I have tried:

Just one drawing open

Only 2D files

Acceleration off/on

VectorCaching off/on

Other programs not running

Additional information:

Fresh OS install, did not migrate settings/programs from old Macbook

I did migrate VW settings and custom plugins (do these all preload when VW starts? Should I try isolating them?)

Crashing isn't related to a particular file, but probably all of the files were created in VW2021 or earlier

Have tried, can't force a crash to happen

Have not run VW2021 on the M1,  Doesn't feel like a viable option now that we have finished updating all of our project files to 2022

Last question, why do you change file save types every year?  It makes me dread the end of year task of upgrading project files and really is an issue right now.

• Like 2

14 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Matisse said:

I did migrate VW settings and custom plugins. Should I try isolating them?)

In such cases I would at least try :

- use VW delivered Workspace only

- Temporarily hide User Settings Folder to test with Default Settings from scratch that VW regenerates

- set Backups Folder to a local drive and use Number of Commands instead of by Time Interval

I also have casual VW crashes without Apple Crash Log sent.

Or a few times memory overflows, which will finally crash macOS.

But I am on macOS public Betas (currently Monterey 12.3)

25 minutes ago, Matisse said:

Last question, why do you change file save types every year?

Yes, very irritating.

Like Autodesk - but VW not for marketing reasons (?)

AFAIK VWX does not only contain plain data, but like 3DSMax also Tool instructions

which create the final data in the App when opening the File. New Tools > new Format.

I was told there are plans to avoid this in the future after some deeper changes in VW'S

data organization. But that has been already some years ago.

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

In such cases I would at least try :

- use VW delivered Workspace only

- Temporarily hide User Settings Folder to test with Default Settings from scratch that VW regenerates

- set Backups Folder to a local drive and use Number of Commands instead of by Time Interval

I will try above, but need the right time frame; the custom plugins are part of our workflow and hard to run without.  As far as backups, been running with 10 commands for over a year...

• Like 2

Continued update, did as Zoomer suggested to restore default settings.  This resolved an issue I had concerning notes and callouts not behaving correctly in every file, including new.  Did some troubleshooting and this was related to entries in the saved settings:

<TextDefaults>
    <VertAlignment>255</VertAlignment>
    <HorAlignment>255</HorAlignment>
    <VertSpacing>2</VertSpacing>
    <Leading>0</Leading>
  </TextDefaults>

The default file was 1,1,1,0. 

Not sure if related to the crashing, but am continuing to work with defaults for the time being to understand if the stability is related to migration from previous VW issues.

m

• Like 2

I could say welcome to the party. Same thing happening on Big Sur. Vectorworks 2022 locks up the OS on a pan. have to restart.  no crash report either. I've dug out and sent numerous logs to NNA however. This never happened with 2021. Wear me out.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, jnr said:

I could say welcome to the party

Thanks for weighing in on the crashes.  Interesting about the pan comment.  I have had another crash with just one file open with zoom/view change.  It was a new file, but it was created with a template.  Really trying to rule out any potential file corruption, so recreated from scratch to continue the trouble shooting.

Planning to update this post as additional information is gathered.

m

Yup--2022 newest patch. Intel with 40GB ram. Crashes for no apparent reason at various times.

This is getting old. This morning while annotating a VP.

Most aggravating of all is not being able to select objects in a design view. All kinds of objects. I have to force select and even that doesn't always work.

Hard to establish any kind of workflow like this.

@ParkerJamesWhat you are seeing is definitely not the experience of most.

It is likely that you have some corruption in your User folder. Try quitting VW, dragging your user folder to the desktop and restarting VW. A new user folder will be created. If it runs smoother then  you can copy items you need out of your old user folder over.

If you are using a custom workspace, especially one you have migrated from previous version that could also be part of the problem. Try one of the standard workspaces and see if things are better. If they are, then I suggest you rebuild your workspace using one of the VW2022 stock workspaces as the starting point.

Ask again if you need more information.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

It is likely that you have some corruption in your User folder. Try quitting VW, dragging your user folder to the desktop and restarting VW. A new user folder will be created. If it runs smoother then  you can copy items you need out of your old user folder over.

If you are using a custom workspace, especially one you have migrated from previous version that could also be part of the problem. Try one of the standard workspaces and see if things are better. If they are, then I suggest you rebuild your workspace using one of the VW2022 stock workspaces as the starting point.

I will try the first suggestion and get back. I am using a stock workspace--always do.

On 2/4/2022 at 11:49 AM, Pat Stanford said:

I did as suggested in creating a new folder and this seems to have quieted things down.

• Like 3

Yes I bought a new one only recently MBP 14" M1 Pro 10core/16core 16GB.  It kept crashing some times multiple times a day.  Mainly kernel panics. It was only 2 weeks old and Apple took it in and replaced the motherboard.  It kept doing this even after replacing the board so I got a refund.  Decided it must be a dud.  So I just got a replacement MBP in the last few days and low and behold kernel panic crash (2 so far).  I can't believe I have a second dud so I believe this is a software issue.  Most of the time I might not even be using VW but it would be open and idle. Interesting I have been using VW all day today but at a remote site with no Wi-fi and no crashes.  When I got home and reconnected to the Wi-fi I suffered another crash.  Do you run Onedrive?  I am wondering if some combination of software might be causing the crash.  I did notice on previous MBs that Onedrive drains the battery very quickly so I assume it might be CPU intensive.  I haven't used Activity monitor but I am only just thinking now it may be Onedrive.  I am going to do some testing with apps on / off and see what happened. I would be interested to know if other people run similar apps at the same time that could cause crashes.

It is very disappointing as my new MBP 14" replaces a 2017 MacBook 12" I7 1.4GHz 16GB that runs both VW2022 and Onedrive and doesn't crash.  I would be disappointed to think 5 years on and the new supposedly fantastic M1 chip that I have gone backwards.

Good Morning,

I don't use Onedrive, but do use Google Drive.  I have set backups to be written local in a folder that isn't synced.  When working on large models, I pause syncing for bandwidth reasons.

Did you do a fresh install, or did you migrate settings/workspaces?  That really greatly improved my user experience.  The other item for me is not having too many favorites.  I used to have multiple big models, but learned they were taking up system resources everytime I started VW.

There is one interface item in VW that still, I think, can cause an unexpected crash.  Face/edge selection. This includes the new texture tool, chamfer, extract to name a few.  I mentally always save before, as well as complicated model add/subtracts.

Once you find whatever conflict you might have, you will see you haven't gone backwards...