Requesting ability for text styles to be 'Colored by Class'

Isaac Anderson

Question

It's become exceedingly frustrating for text styles within Vectorworks to not have the option to be colored by class and instead are required to have their own proprietary color. This requires either various duplicate text styles with color that align with my class colors or more unnecessary clicking when assigning classes to objects drawn by someone else/imported. 

I've seen this posted around the forums since 2016 and still no word from Vectorworks if this will be implemented...Seems like an easy enough addition to me. Does anyone else share this frustration or am I alone?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

I’m confused by your post.  When I place text on a class, it inherits the color specified in my class, assuming the object’s attributes are set to “by class” and the text style is built accordingly.  Plug-in objects such as drawing labels just have to be restyled to suit your desired behavior.

What am I misunderstanding?

Just tested this - the text colour of a text style will change colour when assigned to a class with a different colour to the text style - but it unstyles the text in the process. What would be desirable I think, is for it to keep the text styled while still adopting class parameters like colour, so that if the text style is edited, will still update throughout the file.

Edited by Aspect_Design
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, jeff prince said:

I’m confused by your post.  When I place text on a class, it inherits the color specified in my class, assuming the object’s attributes are set to “by class” and the text style is built accordingly.  Plug-in objects such as drawing labels just have to be restyled to suit your desired behavior.

What am I misunderstanding?

Jeff— Forgive me if any of my wording was confusing.

If I place text into a class with a specific color defined, write the text (which at this point will assume the color of the class, what I want), and then set the text style after (which is normally how I work), it will change the color of the text to the color defined in the text style. In the text styles editor, there is no option to set the color to "Color by Class". It requires that you select a color. 

Hopefully the attached screenshot will help clarify. 

Cheers

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.49.54 PM.png

2 hours ago, Isaac Anderson said:

Jeff— Forgive me if any of my wording was confusing.

If I place text into a class with a specific color defined, write the text (which at this point will assume the color of the class, what I want), and then set the text style after (which is normally how I work), it will change the color of the text to the color defined in the text style. In the text styles editor, there is no option to set the color to "Color by Class". It requires that you select a color. 

Hopefully the attached screenshot will help clarify. 

Cheers

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 8.49.54 PM.png

Ah yes, I see now (I didn’t notice your title).  As a former AutoCAD user, this used to drive me nuts.  I remember the sage advice VWX tech support gave me when I called them… they said Vectorworks just doesn’t work that way.  Maybe that should change 🙂

• Laugh 1

It does seem unusual that by class isn't a choice for either the text color or the background color.

It seams useful to have it work the way you want.

But I find the current text-style-overriding-class-attributes-condition VERY useful when using keyed notes.  The note legend can have the pen and fill set by class, but if the body text and title text are defined by text style, then only the keynote display keeps the class attributes.  If the callout and the note legend are both in the same class using class attributes, then the callout and the keynote display are color keyed, but the legend and note body can still be readable.

This is a case of a possible oversight in Text Styles helping to fix a problem with keyed notes.  So if one gets fixed, I hope they both get fixed at the same time 🙂.