Setting the foundation off a cliff

poesy

My current project is one where a 4 levels of half-storeys split level building is sitting on a sloping cliff. I have tried various methods to draw the interiors of this project (by drawing and rendering the individual rooms/floors) but when it comes to generating a 3D of the entire building, I am stuck at how to set up the site.

Question 1.

How do I draw the site that isn't flat? Is it a class or layer on its own? I tried to understand using the Site Survey and DTM by reading up but am getting further paralysed.

Question 2.

All levels to the building are aligned half height step-up from each other, meaning which Level 4 is above Level 2 and Level 3 is above Level 1. Do I draw Level 1 and 2 on the same layer, while Level 3 and 4 on the next layer?

I am very new with the program and would love any help I can get with this complex building. The 3-day training program was great but I am unfortunately not savvy enough to hit the highway and draw the project I have at hand.

Please help! I am freaking out here.. [Eek!]

POESY, There are a few things you are asking for here. Let me try to take them in order (and others might have additional insight, as well): 1) In order to accurately show a sloping site you will probably need to learn to use the DTM. In order to generate a DTM the program will need either 2d topography (like from a surveyor's map) on a site plan, or 3d data points (like what a surveyor would collect). Short of that, if the slope is fairly even, you might be able to "fake it" by using a simple extruded shape. To do this, go to a side view and draw the shape of the hill as with the polygon tool, then go to MODEL>EXTRUDE (or command e) and set the depth of the extrusion, click OK, then go back to a top plan view and move (or stretch) the extruded shape to the correct position.

As for your second question, I would create a design layer for each of the levels (so there would be 4 layers), then I would layer link them together to create the model. Alternately you can just use one layer and adjust all of the wall heights, and starting heights accordingly.

I hope that helps a bit. I know there's an awful lot in this program to wrap your brain around, and it is especially difficult if you have a deadline too. Just keep at it. Once you learn it you will be amazed at how much power there is (and how easy it will ultimately become)...

Thanks Peter for your guidance.

It sounds a little less intimidating now although I have yet to tackle the problem. To be case specific, this building has already been erected and cut into the slope, hence your suggestion to do the MODEL>EXTRUDE sounds the most viable.

What I have been doing so far has been similar, I draw the plans of Level 1 and 2 on one layer, EXTRUDE each respective levels to their correct height, but am stuck stacking Levels 3 and 4 above it. This is a refurbishment of a very old residential home (with very old plans) and there will be an additional 'mezzanine' added at a height between Level 2 and 3 (accessible from Level 3). The 'mezzanine' was originally a small balcony, which will be expanded and rebuilt as an ensuite bathroom cum walk-in. Here is where I get really worked up over the layering. I have yet to explore on how layer link works.

It is fortunate I am still ahead of deadline, at least for now. Looking at the bright side of this, I do not think I need to learn how to generate a DTM yet as the slope has been cut into steps accomodating the existing old house. It sounds really frightening. I will retry it by 'faking' for now. Again!

I recently traveled all the way to Nemetschek NA to train up and I thought it would be really impressive if I could use what I have learnt for this project. So far I have drawn it from scratch 3 times and have gotten demotivated. It was a godsent that I found some support here, therefore I am determined to persevere. Thank you very much.

If there is anymore tips to tackle my predicament, please help.

1. I think I got the site by drawing on side view and extrude! Do I put it in a class of its own?

2. How do I get the floor slabs to rest on the correct height of the site?

3. Are slabs and walls on different layers for each different levels?

Thanks! I appreciate your patience.

Slabs *can* be on different layers and/or different classes. It mostly depends on how many different views (including or excluding certain objects for each view, etc) you will end up needing. Sometimes this is hard to know at the outset. It is pretty easy to go back later and create a new class (or layer) and then put an object (or objects) into that class. The beauty of it is that then you will have independent control over those (classed) objects - eg: you can make them visible/invisible or change their graphic attributes all at once, for the entire class.

To answer your first question, to place slabs (or any object) at the correct height is very easy. When working in 3d you will almost always need to toggle back & forth between TOP/PLAN and a front (or side) view to get things right. Also you need to be a bit familiar with X, Y & Z. X is left/right, Y is up/down, and Z is depth (in the 3rd dimension, so imagine that it represents in/out, in relation to your monitor). So for instance, you can create your slab in TOP/PLAN view, which will place it accurately in 2d space (ie: in plan view, which is x & y), then with the object still selected go to the appropriate side view (or front, or whatever) and hit "command M" (or TOOL>MOVE), then input the correct value in the "Y" pane (which is now, still "UP/DOWN" on your screen, by convention. In other words, when you changed views, what was "Z" in plan is now "Y") and hit OK. The object will move up or down (use negative numbers for down!). Interestingly, in many PlugIn objects you can also just input the proper "Z" value in the Object Info Palette (OIP), AND when you move one of these objects, the value will change in the OIP accordingly. So play around and have fun! Hope that helps...