Site Model for VW Architect very weak tool

Chris Lee

Question

Hi, I've been having a hard time with modeling context for a house remodel that I've been developing.  The house is on a hillside and has numerous decks, retaining walls and fences surrounding the main building.  VW is exceedingly poor (or I'm just not very good with my file/model structure) at handling the contextual site conditions.  I have a land survey and have created a 'site model' from existing elevational data points using stake objects and the property bounds. The model, although pretty, won't process the existing retaining walls.  I understand Landmark has additional tools for this?  As I primarily work in architecture, I didn't purchase these added tools but now feel they are essential to my work flow.  Is there any chance VW could review their offerings (between Architect and Landmark) and consider typical instances of workflow for the VW Architect product?  My only work around has been to use the contour lines and convert to NURBS then loft the curves as 2 rail sweeps.  This is tedious and not ideal for later modification. I use Rhino as well and am sad when I get into proper NURBS modeling in the VW environment, as SO many tools that I take for granted in Rhino are absent in the VW environment.  Anyway, I love VW and will continue to use it for most of my design output, just a small rant on the super lame site model problems I've been experiencing.

Thanks, and hoping for more in this department.

Chris

Site Model Example of NURBS.jpg

• Like 2

1 answer to this question

They just need to make one version of this software for all IMHO.

People buy the package for their profession and get disappointed when they run into the limitations.

You can always call them up and ask to upgrade to designer.  I opted for that package because I like my context models to be accurate for doing sections and such.  Plus I didn’t want to deal with the downtime from not having the right tools for the job, like the stair tool LOL.