the "Resource Revolver"

FKA

Question

Hello, I have an Idea for an revolving resource function, or how I would call it, the "Resource Revolver".

The Problem:

working with styles is great and working with keyboard shortcuts is great.

But when I am drafting or even when I do final drawings I often need to switch between the same styles, symbols or other resources back and forth. Some need to be selected in the resource manager, some need their specific tool and work with styles or symbols and that is a lot of mouse action and there is no easy shortcut that works for all of these to get direkt access to the things I need.

The idea:💡

I am thinking of an "revolving toolbox" or a "revolver" like a six-gun with different "slots" where I could drag and drop (or load) resources from my resource manager. and would be able to switch between these via shortcut. With this I could switch fast between a combination of a style or symbol together with the correct tool for it. Just like double-clicking in the resource manager.

The control for that may be a set of shortcuts (just like cmd+tab to switch between programs) to go forward and backward in the revolver or a combination of a keypress and the mouse wheel.

I Think this would be a great addition in the smart options feature and could improve working with different tools and styles via shortcuts.

Or in other words it would be a blast🤯

I hope this will make it on the wishlist for upcoming versions

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Yes, I had a simular idea but this time for tools, just having a quick pick carousel that can be controlled with the scroll wheel of the mouse. But like you suggest, if they are just open slots and the user can place whatever they like in it (like resources, but also tools, quick prefs, snaps, ...), I think this is a very powerfull thing.

image.png.bcaae25a0451731df76cab904e54edf0.png

Now that the monitors get bigger and bigger, it makes less sense to have palettes on the edge of the monitor, it takes way to long to travel al the way to there (also tbad for the eyes and neck), the most used things should be available in the drawing area, on the mouse cursor.

And I like the idea of being able to apply a shortcut to each slot.

• Like 1

Yes that's what I am thinking of, but more important than tools are resources, because tools have keyboard shortcuts but you have no chance for a direkt access to a specific resource or a tool with a selected style in one shortcut.

Shortcuts for every slot is nice, but I think this would end up in a shortcut in combination with a number key, but this leads to a "two-handed" shortcut, and I don't like  moving my right handy away from the mouse. So I think a simple to remember "forward" and "Backward" shortcut may be most convenient and can be remembered.

Personally I would prefer a keyboard shortcut over the mouswheel, because I can precisely hit it 3times and know what's on my cursor in repetitive workflows, it may be harder with the mouse wheel, but I think most people would prefer the mouse wheel.

Crossing fingers that this feature will end in the upper portion of the wishlist.

• Like 1