Framing Take-off

Delmer,

We use the Framer tool extensively. We rely on its takeoffs of walls as a guide only. The two square footage calculations are actually pretty reliable, but the stick quantity can be off by as much as 15%. Especially if you've asked it to frame gable-end or sloped walls.

Anything framed using the Joist PIO, and then referenced from a worksheet, is pretty reliable. But this is generally limited to floors and possibly ceiling trusses. We likewise have a fair amount of confidence in the roof framing, provided the individual pieces have been properly labeled. (I'm really aching for a tool that will allow I-joists to be angled as rafters.)

It may or may not be helpful for you to have a read through this thread:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001408

Good luck,

Thanks Travis, that's just what I was wondering.

If you can rely on it like you say I can see the direct value to design-build. Now I have to weigh if contractors will like me enough to make it worthwhile for me to frame my drawings to the point of it being accurate.

To further Chris' comment:

Anytime our drawings go out-of-house for competitive bids, or if we do a set of drawings for another contractor, we always label the take-offs as Estimated Materials. Never as a schedule.

That should encourage the builder to double-check, and after working with you for a while, he'll learn how to adjust the estimate to suit his needs.

Good luck,