'Create Multiple Viewports Tool' - More functionality and options

RyanMartinDesign

Question

Hey there,

As an events/ set based technical designer one of my go to tools is CMD(Ctrl) + Shift + M - Create Multiple Viewports.

This tool is very useful but it has very limited options that I feel could be easily implemented. At this time it just produces a brand new sheet layer with a non configurable Sheet #, Sheet Title etc. 

I would like for this tool to produce a pop up similar to the section/ detail viewport tool, which offers the ability to choose an existing viewport/ change which classes/ layers are visible etc.

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Ryan

• Like 3

2 answers to this question

Adding to this. Creating standard third-angle projected views of parts is unnecessarily cumbersome... still in VW 2023. In short, this should work a lot more like the VIEWBASE command in AutoCAD. The viewports should be auto-cropped to the selected objects and be orthogonally constrained to one another on the sheet. If you need to add a view, you should be able to drag it off one of the existing viewports.

You can currently add an additional view to a third-angle projection layout by copying one of the existing viewports and changing the view, but this is also unnecessarily cumbersome... when you change the view the objects visible in the crop can end up really far away from the crop object and you have to manually re-center them... and then orthogonally align them with the existing views.

At the very least, it would be helpful if when you change the view of an existing viewport the objects already visible in that crop were automatically re-centered in the crop when the view is changed. I have similar issues with annotations. When a new viewport is created the drawing label is placed down in the corner, then I crop the view way down, and now the generated drawing label is extremely far away from the crop and has to be manually brought into that viewport's new field of view. Unnecessarily cumbersome.

This is all less of a problem when you are able to isolate every individual object you want to draw in its own layer/class... but you often can't do that. I often have a layer full of different, spread out parts I need drawings of. A project I just did took a lot longer than it needed to because of these cumbersome qualities of creating standard views of certain parts and assemblies. To be fair, I much prefer the way VW handles sheet annotations to AutoCAD. That VW consolidates viewport annotations into a special component of the viewport that moves/scales with it, I much prefer... but getting those views created in the first place really needs some improvement.

• Like 2

YES to the previous post. I just purchased Spotlight 2023 and one of the main reasons, if not THE main reason, was creating multiple viewports. Boy was I disappointed when I found out the function is essentially useless. I'm shocked that you can't even choose a sheet layer. Or create a rectangle for cropping. Wow.

Edited by jdlang19