Direct Link to Twinmotion resets most materials

tsw

Question

I originally replied to a thread in the Rendering forum, but reposting it here as a new topic in the hope that it gets more traction.

I'm encountering a bug when using the Datasmith Direct Link Synchronize tool (this button: DatasmithDL_DLSync_mode.png.02d9b4c5f901c9c04af96ec31f35a7b1.png) with Vectorworks 2022 SP2.1 and Twinmotion 2022.1 (Windows 10 64-bit). Sometimes a few of the material overrides stick, but most of the time all the materials in my Twinmotion model revert to their original state when I send an update from Vectorworks.

I'm not certain, but it seems to happen most frequently when adding new textures or objects to the VW file. Deleting or moving existing objects doesn't seem to cause the materials to lose their overrides.

Are others still experiencing this bug in the latest versions of Twinmotion/Vectorworks? Is there a workaround at this time? Thanks for any suggestions!

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @tsw:

Vectorworks 2022 Service Pack 3 includes many important fixes for Datasmith/Twinmotion.  Please update to Service Pack 3 and let us know whether these issues are improved and/or resolved.  Thanks!

Regarding material overrides, there are cases where objects are deleted and recreated in Vectorworks and this still results in the material overrides being lost in Twinmotion.  One case is changing plug-in object parameters, another is resizing of walls.  When possible the overrides should be more persistent in SP3.

55 minutes ago, _James said:

This issue is still present for me in VW2023 SP4 and Twinmotion 2023.1

Have you tried it in 2023 SP3?

I haven't used the direct link since these problems cropped up, easier to export via C4D and live with the 1 way trip rather than lose hours of work.

Here is a recent thread on a different topic where it is alluded to that something changed in SP4 which may have recked materials on a particular asset.

Related?  Perhaps...

Is this issue fixed? I have just tried VW2024 and it is still there. I have tried Revit and there is no problem with direct link or datasmith export. See the before and after screenshots, with Twinmotion and two direct links: blue from Vectorworks and red from Revit. Only Revit direct link keeps textures applied in Twinmotion, vectorworks textures revert to imported ones. Is there a fix for that? For a large building with 40+ spaces, it is impossible to work with this issue.

before.jpg

after.jpg

There is no different way to resync datasmith file. There is only one option next to datasmith file with two circular arrows. Under the three dots menu, there is no magic reload option. What is quite funny, I have found this in TM 2022 release notes, there is a bug fix: "TM-6264 - Material assignments lost when reimporting Vectorworks files." Looks like it is a well-known issue, and got fixed, but not in all cases, or any cases.
I got a reply in Twinmotion support from a very helpfull guy, he even installed Vectorworks and tested the issue himself, and told me that he only had that problem when using specific Edit Subdivision option in Vectorworks before exporting and resyncing the datasmith file in TM. And in all regular options like rounding the edges or changing the wall lenght, he never got the reset materials issue, that we have. Maybe Vectorworks support could bump that issue up the dev bug fixes list, pleeeeease 🙂

image.png.0ffc3dcc2b3f7d43c29d91d8461c9de1.png

image.png.f1c677760d0d27dbbc070a8d7e4a3a68.png

• Like 1
On 4/5/2023 at 7:03 PM, Jeff Prince said:

Have you tried it in 2023 SP3?

I haven't used the direct link since these problems cropped up, easier to export via C4D and live with the 1 way trip rather than lose hours of work.

I always used the C4D but it is also flawed, not all texture parameters import from VWX to TM. See below screenshot, where I compared 4 different filetypes that VWX can export and TM can import left to right: C4D, Datasmith, 3ds, FBX, and only datasmith file got all texture parameters, but it resets textures after resync. So it is either C4D and fix some textures that did not import correctly, or datasmith and fix textures after resync, both cause a lot of wasted time that could be avoided.  Does anyone have a workaround, or has experience in other software like D5 or lumion that does not have this kind of issues? I discovered that Revit works flawlessly with datasmith direct link, and I really regret that I did not know that before choosing Vectorworks. So all new uses planning to use Twinmotion and Vectorworks beware: they do not like each other. 

image.thumb.png.4c1a79bcec6c362c045c04687ca1f2b7.png

• Like 1