Caching Graphics

Laura Stone

Question

I have a drawing that is pretty large and on the slow side, but noticed that it keeps pausing whilst the green bar at the bottom of the window moves across with the text 'caching graphics...) This is just revising text in a top/plan view viewport, so not anything I would have thought was putting strain on VW.  Any ideas how to prevent it doing this?

Thanks

Laura

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

Hi Laura, if you're using Vectorworks 2018 your post might not garner as much attention as current software does. If you're using the software professionally, in almost every case it makes more economical sense to use recent hardware and current software. 

If you are indeed using the Mac mini (Late 2014) shown in your signature, then I wouldn't expect it to perform well because it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card which is warranted if you do anything moderately detailed. And if you've upgraded your operating system to anything higher than macOS 10.14 (Mojave) I would not expect it to work at all. (See Vectorworks 2018 System Requirements). 

I suggest you ensure your operating system is compatible, then test if this problem happens in a new blank document, after restarting your computer. If you are indeed using Vectorworks 2018, as this is no longer supported you'll need to pay for support if you require more specific assistance. 

On 2/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, Laura Stone said:

Hi Jeremy

I'm using VW2022 on a 2020 M1 MacBook Air with 16Gb RAM.  I thought my profile had that, but did I post in the wrong section?

Thanks

Laura

Hi, Laura. I am using VW2022 on a 2020 MacBook Pro M1 with 16mb RAM and also getting tons of "Caching Graphics..." It is very annoying and slows all the design/drawing process.

Hi Laura, to answer your question here's a screenshot of your last post showing the Mac mini hardware etc: 

image.thumb.png.e6ebf5cfff0e64f45e2879de35fb9d44.png

Knowing that you're using current software and recent hardware, here's my new answer: 

Without seeing the quantity of geometry, symbols, textures, hatches etc in your file I can't gauge whether the symptoms you're seeing are a result of software issues, or if it is a normal result due to the load placed on your hardware. But given that nothing is going wrong, it sounds like you're file/work is just highly demanding.

I know the M1 processors are amazing, but they are still subject to the laws of physics and with only 16 GB of memory - which is shared with the integrated graphics card meaning there's less memory to go around for applications and file data - it can still be quite easy to push your computer into a situation where it has to use contingencies to cope - contingencies that can affect performance. As demands on memory increase, the operating system will use the hard drive to extend the amount of memory available to run software and 'hold' the contents of files you have open. This caching process and how slow it is could be because the computer is spending time moving data in memory between the hard drive and main memory as-it-goes. 

Open Activity Monitor and look at the Memory tab. If the 'Memory Pressure' graph is getting up into yellow or worse, orange or red, you need more memory for the work you're doing. Even if the memory pressure isn't high, your work/files or the way you use your computer might still warrant more memory if the value shown for 'Swap' is high (maybe 5 GB or more). If you need more memory but can't get a better spec'd computer at the moment, you could make your files more efficient by removing excess content, converting 3D objects to 'generic solids,' using symbols instead of duplicates of geometry, or using the Class or Layer Options to display only the content you're working on, or your could close excess internet browser windows/tabs and close other apps. 

If the above info is not enough to help you diagnose and resolve, get in touch with the Tech Support provider for Vectorworks in your region. 

• Like 3

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for this, yes it is in the yellow pretty consistently when I'm working on that drawing. Swap is 4.15.   I think I'll live with it as future drawings should be smaller and tidier - this one's gone on for years and just added more and more on.

There is also Cineware using a fair bit but assume that is part of VW?

Was more keen on lightness than speed for my laptop but something to bear in mind for a new desktop, 32Gb would presumably perform a lot better.  

Laura

• Like 2

Hi Laura, (and FYI @Ramon PG)

Thanks for confirming what the situation is. With Memory Pressure in the yellow and given that Swap is so high, it's worth checking if you can free yourself from these symptoms when you need to work on this or any other 'taxing' file, by: 

1. Quit all other applications. 

If that doesn't produce enough 'headroom' for this file to function smoothly: 

1. Quit all applications. 
  2. Restart the Mac. 
  3. Try again. 

If after browsing through various Sheet Layers and Design Layers you still get 'yellow' memory pressure or high swap, don't be resigned about this being a limitation of your hardware - look around the file for excess data. Use the 'Purge' command first. Maybe remove images or references in Design Layers that are no longer needed. Remove Site Model 'snapshots' or imported DXF/DWG/Shape File data if it is no longer needed. Then save the file, quit Vectorworks, reopen. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2
On 2/19/2022 at 7:26 AM, Laura Stone said:

Cineware using a fair bit but assume that is part of VW?

Yes, Cineware is a component of Cinema 4D used in Vectorworks to perform Renderworks rendering and now RedShift rendering too. When you first open Vectorworks 2022, expect it to use about 900MB but it will increase with any operation that invokes what it does: Processing the renderings for Renderworks or RedShift rendering modes.