Transparency gradient for Renderworks VW 2022

Does anyone know how to create a Renderworks texture that will start opaque and gradually become transparent? I like to have the floor of my exhibition renderings gradually fade away into the background color and the best way to do this is with a gradient map in most rendering apps. Usually you build a black to white gradient in Photoshop and place it in the texture map design somewhere. I'm using VW2022 on a Mac running Catilina, although I'm going to upgrade soon to a version which I can remember how to spell. Thanks for any help!

Mike

Guest Wes Gardner

@MHBrown gradients applied to 2D objects can do that but I'm not sure textures applied to 3D elements can...obviously textures for glass or water can have some transparency but I don't think you can get them to fade from opaque to transparent...

Can someone prove me wrong?  Would be cool...

Wes

8 hours ago, MHBrown said:

Does anyone know how to create a Renderworks texture that will start opaque and gradually become transparent? I like to have the floor of my exhibition renderings gradually fade away into the background color and the best way to do this is with a gradient map in most rendering apps. Usually you build a black to white gradient in Photoshop and place it in the texture map design somewhere. I'm using VW2022 on a Mac running Catilina, although I'm going to upgrade soon to a version which I can remember how to spell. Thanks for any help!

Mike

3 hours ago, Wes Gardner said:

@MHBrown gradients applied to 2D objects can do that but I'm not sure textures applied to 3D elements can...obviously textures for glass or water can have some transparency but I don't think you can get them to fade from opaque to transparent...

Can someone prove me wrong?  Would be cool...

Wes

@Wes GardnerLike this? Just a quickie stab in the dark: Cube, with point source inside, with gradient PNG + alpha channel developed in PS, imported as texture with transparency set to Alpha

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 11.09.27 AM.png

Edited by mjm
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Wes Gardner said:

@mjm cool use of Photoshop...for those who can't afford PS, you can try Gimp...free, open-source...

Wes

Or Pixelmator or Affinity. Not free of course but cheaper than PS

I am thinking about how to accomplish this task solely in VWX. Seems potentially doable.

Edited by mjm