Exporting as a .dwf

Mawgan

A client has requested we upload in .dwf format - we prefer pdf but they have specifically requested it.

I searched the forums trying to find an easy way to convert from Vectorworks to .dwf and couldn't find a simple way.

We have a PC in the office with AutoCAD LT2000 - but this version does not offer save as or export as dwf.

Therefore, do I need to upgrade to AutoCAD LT2006 or the full version to convert my exported dwg files, or is there a simple conversion programe for mac or pc for download? [Confused]

I've never tried to do that, but a Google search for "dwg to dwf" turns up lots of sites offering to sell or give away software that will make the conversion.

And AutoDesk seems to be giving away a free "DWF Writer" which they claim can create DWF files from any application:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?id=6101824&siteID=123112

I don't have time to try that right now, but it sounds promising.

Thanks for the advice - I spoke to one of the tech guys at Autodesk, and they said I would need to purchase LT2006 to make dwf. I've found out through playing round with LT2000 that this is not the case - you can export as a dwf, but it is done under the print command, like a postscript file.

The problem is the reading of dwf - you would need LT2006 or the downloadable reader from Autodesk. The reader is only free for 30 days, and I think its around ?150 to buy the full version.

Just seems to be an annoying idea by Autodesk, when pdf is much more popular, better quality, accessible and free, plus I can't think of a graphics app that can load dwf.

[ 01-30-2006, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: Mawgan ]

"DWF Viewer" is free forever. It's "DWF Composer" that's got a 30 day free trial. Composer is the one that allows you to measure and mark up a DWF file. A quick check shows Composer is available from US retailers for as little as $71.

"DWF Writer" is also free forever, and they claim that it's "A certified Microsoft Windows system printer driver" which allows you to "Publish DWF files from any Windows-based application including non-Autodesk design applications." So if you have VectorWorks on a PC, you should be able to create a DWF file directly from VW.