Ground or Site model and building with section details

FBernardo

Hi all,

When i'm doing a site model and then insert my building into the site model with foundations, floor slabs etc, how do you "subtract" these items from the Site model?? so when you do the sections it shows properly.

I've attached an example of what i'm explaining here but used a slab mimicking site model.

1474426734_GFslabandfoundations.thumb.jpg.f0e0d4094478b4a706f9ac306d07b0b9.jpg

Guest Wes Gardner

@FBernardo you can create a site modifier (pad) that will remove a portion of the site to a prescribed depth.  You may want to visit the Vectorworks University and have a look at several of the offerings pertaining to site models and site modifiers.

Wes

Although it should be said that excavating the site model around those foundations will be nigh on impossible + if it's just for sections - and not cut + fill calcs - you might be better just using one VP (of the building) stacked on top of another VP (of the site model) to get the drawing you want.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Wes Gardner said:

@FBernardo you can create a site modifier (pad) that will remove a portion of the site to a prescribed depth.  You may want to visit the Vectorworks University and have a look at several of the offerings pertaining to site models and site modifiers.

Wes

Hi Wes, any good advice on which ones would be useful to use with Architect version of site model, since Landscape has a lot more tools that architect doesn't and most of the University courses there are for the "landscape" version of VW and the Architect version doesn't have it.

Guest Wes Gardner

@FBernardo...other than using a pad to remove some of the site model within the perimeter of the building all the way down to the bottom of the footings and then use polygons to fill in the space in Section...you might be able to "cut" trenches where all your footings run (the site model CANNOT create spaces like a cave).  But that will really be pushing its capabilities...

Other than getting the site in a state that you can run cut/fill calcs, I would show fill around footings, etc in 2D in Section.

An alternative is to level the site with a pad at the 0''0" point, then, in Annotation space, overdraw you footings and foundations walls with hatched rectangles like the image.  In this image, the site model has two components - one that shows "topsoil" that's a bout 1'-0" deep and the other shows sub soil....

Wes

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 9.06.59 AM.png

1 hour ago, Wes Gardner said:

@FBernardo...other than using a pad to remove some of the site model within the perimeter of the building all the way down to the bottom of the footings and then use polygons to fill in the space in Section...you might be able to "cut" trenches where all your footings run (the site model CANNOT create spaces like a cave).  But that will really be pushing its capabilities...

Other than getting the site in a state that you can run cut/fill calcs, I would show fill around footings, etc in 2D in Section.

An alternative is to level the site with a pad at the 0''0" point, then, in Annotation space, overdraw you footings and foundations walls with hatched rectangles like the image.  In this image, the site model has two components - one that shows "topsoil" that's a bout 1'-0" deep and the other shows sub soil....

Wes

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 9.06.59 AM.png

I use this method, i was just thinking if we could use "both" the Site model and the house in a way that the site model would adjust to the foundations etc... but I usually do it through 2D drawing on top of the sections to make it look "right"...