Space Object @ Dormer ceiling

Constraining a Space Object 3d to dormer ceiling above creates some voids.  Ceiling/roof above the voids is not missing.

Is this a problem with dormer config?

Or, some of the ceiling areas are not actually part of the Roof object?

Or?

One workaround is to view roof from bottom and extract all the ceiling surfaces, then raise the space object to the extraction instead of to the roof object ceiling.

But then, if roof edited, need new extraction.

-B

image.thumb.png.519cc7c84ef31522fbae8f8f18f4f086.png

Space object @ Dormer v2022.vwx

This is exactly the kind of thoroughness and attention to detail we've come to expect, Benson.

I love that over time thousands and thousands of people will read this post, find it interesting, download the file, and try it themselves.

But only a dozen will know what started it.

I haven't been able to try it yet, but I wonder if hand built dormers will work better.  (It looks like you'r using fancy VW dormers)

I'll let you know.

• Like 1

@Wes Gardner  Thanks re ungroup. It worked for the Space.  Main focus of exercise is to get the 3d space object correct under any roof, so dormers were secondary.  Now there are artifacts from the walls which are not familiar to me.  Is this some thing about the top/bot wall offsets? Or?  Modified file included.

Nevermind - Wall height was controlled by Layer Elevation (=0). Change to Layer Wall Height for each wall, and set the layer height to desired value (=6' in this case). The dormer and gables wall adjust upward (ground plane outlines disappear).  Dormer front needs fit to geometry to top (dormer roof system) and bottom (wall below, or layer height).  These dormers are kind of clearstory features, rather than room makers. Dormer side walls would need separate fitting: bottom of dormer side wall - fit to top of roof framing. Top of dormer side wall - fit to bottom of dormer roof framing.  No components here, so can just fit to geometry top & bottom.

-B

image.thumb.png.a0bc9ba7ca81ab4c502dac38c7589e77.png

image.png.6a21503674f26af2587db561fa650170.png

Space object @ Dormer v2022.vwx

Edited by Benson Shaw