Creating Symbol, link text to record, not showing record data in text - bug?

Jake124

Question

I'm trying to create a new symbol with an attached record. I have done this before, and just tested creating and using it in 2020, which works fine. In 2022 I can't make it work.

I have simplified everything to try to find the problem, but no luck. The file below has a circle which I have turned into a symbol. I created a new record from an existing one and modified it - I thought this might be the problem, so I pulled an existing data record in without modifying it. There should be a text in the middle of the circle that displays the "weight" parameter of the record - I used the link text to record tool to make this. Opening the Edit 2D symbol shows the text, but inserted symbols do not show the text, nor a placeholder. They do have a record attached, which seems to work as expected in the OIP, with the exception of the text not showing up on the symbol.

I suspect some bug, because I just did the exact same sequence of actions in 2020 and it works fine.

Any help please? TIA

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av4RU7VvWoY12UUSXVlBzZj-dhr1 

6 answers to this question

The text isn't showing up because you have the symbol set to be a "blue" symbol (notice the name of the symbol in the OIP has blue text).  That converts the symbol to a group when inserted in the drawing and breaks the link to the symbol.

In the resource manager, right click on the symbol > Edit Symbol Options… uncheck "Convert to Group".  The symbol name will now be black.  And any future symbol insertions should work as expected.

• Like 2

Good catch Michael.

The functionality you are trying to use is called Link Text to Record, but it is really Link Symbol Text to Record and only works on text inside of symbols.

Blue symbols are converted to a group upon insertion into the document which means that what ends up in the drawing is not a symbol and therefore the Link Text to Symbol Record won't work.

• Like 1

That's an easy check box to miss.  I miss it often.

Symbols come in 4 colors:

Black:  Normal everyday symbols you meet walking down the street.

Blue:  Symbols that convert to groups when inserted (or single objects if there is only one object in the symbol)

Red:  Parametric objects with their parameters preset to useful values.

Green:  Symbols that ignore scale.  They are always at "Page" scale. (1:1).  No matter what the Design Layer scale or, when in SLVP annotations, what the viewport scale is.

• Like 2