hatch not importing correctly from DWG...

hatch not importing correctly from DWG...

note areas of first image, read into AutoCad....

then second image read into Vectorworks 11.5 (with highlighting areas of hatch)....

this is the same file, read into both programs...

has anybody figured out the problem? or is this a known bug? unknown or what?

-

-

Acad uses 'world scale' whereas VW uses 'page scale' . A world scale hatch often looks solid in VW ... use the edit hatch and check out the differences in scaling for both 'world & page'. Sometimes you need to zoom 3600% just to make out the hatch.

Also Acad tends to use thick line weights which are fine at world scale but look ugly at page scale. Just get used to editing those Acad hatches after import and don't forget to 'fix' the names to

improve sorting during 'HatchName:String' conversions.

VW has both "world" and "page" units for hatches. An Autocad hatch should import as "world", but if it imports as "page", you can just change its units to "world". Maybe that would correct the problem. I don't know, since I've never experienced it. For me, hatches always seem to import correctly, and with "world" units.

two of the hatches that you can see above have a wrong Rotation, so i don't think it is a "world" or "page" situation... it also appears to me that one hatch was used for all the wrong spots, where the original file appears to use different hatches at the same spots.....

so that also does not suggest a "world"/page problem... there shouldn't be just one hatch located in all those locations where there should be separate hatches for each, including a railing... it appears that Vectorworks inserted a single Hatching for railings and then standing seam roofing.... which is clearly not supposed to happen... and was not part of the original file.

i can't just edit the hatches either, because i have no idea what the hatches are supposed to be in the first place, i had a person send me files as usual, then they told me that the hatches were wrong when i sent them modified files back, (i don't think i've ever had this problem with VW10.0) that is the only reason i have an ACAD print out of it.. (to see what was going on) i've also tested it in ACAD.... otherwise and usually i would never know which hatches are wrong....

it is definitely a Vectorworks import problem.

i can upload a file if people wish, if they think they might know what is going on. (and to test if it is a problem with my installation)...

here it is, i think this link will work for an auto download.

http://homepage.mac.com/jonkai/.Public/ELEV1.zip

jon.

jon,

The images in your first post don't load for me but I had a look at the ACAD file. When I import it into VW11.5 (Windows) everything comes across fine. There are a ton of hatch definitions in that file, even if purged.

This won't be the whole cause of your problem but may be partial; did you know that if you import or paste a hatch into a drawing that already has a hatch of that name the imported hatch will take on the attributes of the hatch already established in the drawing?

If you didn't do this already you might try importing the drawing to a new clean VW file with no hatch definitions in it.

hmmm, can also someone that can see the PDF images in the original post, with a Windows version read that DWG file in to see if the Windows 11.5 version looks like the correct ACAD version, or the Mac 11.5 version...

i do import it into a new clean VW file, and am using the Macintosh version of 11.5...

if someone can load it in a Mac version, that would confirm whether my set up is corrupted or not...

thanks,

jon.

I was able to see the images only after I copied and pasted the URL into a new browser. If you post as .jpg, IE would be able to see them in your original post.

My guess with the hatches after opening in AutoCad, is that each individual instance of the hatch (LINE_1) in the drawing is rotated 90 degrees, which VW doesn't support. Simple solution is to do a custom selection of LINE_1 hatch and replace with one of the other hatches in the drawing, like LINE_12, which is vertical.

>>>>which VW doesn't support...<<<<

oh, that would explain a lot... except for the scale of the hatch....

what is strange is VW can produce a 90 degree or any degree rotated hatch on it's own... and import some 90 degree rotated hatches which "LINE_12" shows...

what was the difference between Line12 and line1 in that regard?

then also it seems very easy to support it on import too... so why would they leave that out?....

jon.

ok, i've slightly isolated the problem...

i went into autocad and took out the one elevation we are looking at, and made a new file with it....

i saved it as an AutoCad file from ACAD...

then imported into VW...

it imported with all the hatches correct, not only that, it assigned all the hatches with separate hatch names, which it should have in the first place... but in the original file, it simply put "LINE_1" into all those places that are incorrect........ VW shouldn't have done this with that original file..... it should have done it like it does with my new file....

why the original doesn't work, i have no idea yet why........

but it is a bug on import on VW now i am convinced, but the bug is deep enough that you need that complicated of a file to have it show up...

to verify this i will upload the elevation we are looking at, as i saved it into a separate file,

http://homepage.mac.com/jonkai/.Public/test1.zip

compare the two, you will see big differences in the hatches...

remember, all i did was take out that elevation from the original file and saved it separately...

this means it has nothing to do with VW not able to support rotations or not...

it is a bug somewhere reading in a DWG that is complicated enough....

jon.

that isn't it... i've been able to make a small file, and it has the hatches wrong in it,

it is definitely a VW import bug i'm convinced now. and it looks like one that can easily be fixed. i've sent two very small files to tech support. it would be easy to track down, since one has three textures with only one correct, two in the wrong directions, and one file that is the same, but DXFed imported, and only one of the textures is wrong out of the three....

i thought earlier that the smaller file had all three correct textures, but it was only two that imported correctly...

jon.