How to delete/reset hanging position name

tailortek

Hi All,

I deleted a Truss that was converted to a hanging position, I needed to start the structure again... 

Now when I try and covert the new truss to the same hanging position, I get an error that the name exists. 

Where do I find the database for these names and how do I delete the unused name?

When you converted to a Hanging Position, did you select the option to base on geometry or the symbol? If the latter, the name conflict will be with a symbol. If that's the case, you can just use the symbol as the basis of the hanging position and not recreate. 

FYI, unless you have stock geometry that repeats (like system pipes), the symbol option is more of a legacy feature.

If you chose geometry, then you need to hunt down the name conflict. Vectorworks doesn't have a full name list. To find a drawing object, you can make a worksheet report that lists the name of every object as well as useful information like object type, layer, and class. The Create Report menu item is the easiest way to do this. Resources, Classes, and Layers also use the name list.

Thanks Joshua! That worked great. 

I'm a relatively new spotlight user and am trying to figure out my workflow.  The one area I'm getting stuck on is using truss systems or hanging positions.  Ive read the other topics on this subject, but feel like I'm missing some detail.  I'm a bit concerned that hanging positions are becoming a legacy feature.  But at the same time hanging positions are the only way to get position info into reports for attached objects. 

I'm trying to pick the right way to approach things.  Can you offer any suggestions or resources that go further into detail?

Thanks!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Providing you use geometry you will always be able to double click and edit the geometry.

You can also Edit > Ungroup to convert a hanging position back to just geometry.

I don't believe Hanging Position will become legacy in terms of being 'retired' There will always be a need to create a hanging position from non standard custom geometry.

• Like 2
On 1/22/2022 at 12:35 PM, tailortek said:

But at the same time hanging positions are the only way to get position info into reports for attached objects. 

What exactly do you mean by "position info?" Vectorworks has some ways to extract information from Truss objects, and some third party solutions exist as well.

The Hanging Position isn't legacy, it's just no longer required in some cases. If you are combining objects together into a single position, then creating an HP object is necessary.

Truss can be a little tricky, as you are considering several Truss elements as a hanging position. 2020 improves things a bit with the ability to set a position name for Truss items that is independent of the system name.

• 8 months later...
On 1/24/2022 at 6:34 PM, JBenghiat said:

and some third party solutions exist as well.

Hello wich solution ?

On 1/24/2022 at 6:34 PM, JBenghiat said:

2020 improves things a bit with the ability to set a position name for Truss items that is independent of the system name.

Yes but if no mistake, if a truss is 4 elt for example, if I give a name to that truss, each truss elt have the position name+1>4 no ?

Is a way to have a truss position for all the truss elt who compose the truss ; such as LXback/ lx front / ...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 hours ago, Ben59 said:

Yes but if no mistake, if a truss is 4 elt for example, if I give a name to that truss, each truss elt have the position name+1>4 no ?

Is a way to have a truss position for all the truss elt who compose the truss ; such as LXback/ lx front / ...

This issue is fixed in 2023. the truss object position name field doesn't require a unique name anymore

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 11:11 PM, jcogdell said:

This issue is fixed in 2023. the truss object position name field doesn't require a unique name anymore

Nice, as a french user, even with a US version I've to wait one month after the US release to have the last version , so may few days or hours to wait ...

Thanks !!!