GIS for Residential

Is anyone using GIS for residential applications?  I have messed with it a little bit but don't seem to be able to get usable data out of it.  I get some good info from the towns GIS systems.  Then its an excercise of down loads screenshots and combining info which is not a problem but if the Vectorworks GIS can help streamline it I all in.  I know many survey companies use it for residential.  I'm not sure if thats different/better tech.  Thoughts?

Yea sometimes I have to go with the tax map from the locality's GIS.  Yes accuracy is an issue.  For better or worse we have very few public sewage systems in my neck of the woods...despite density septic systems are the standard.  For the most part those plans come on very accurate but still in PDF form which until the resolution on the PDF thread I have failed to achieve any snapping.  So I my guess is that the GIS we have available on Vectorworks is suitable for some limited site analysis and conceptual work.  I have site contractors who have survey tools and software which will geolocate points and elevations within the inch but that's the result of multiple disciplines being onsite and physically locating their points.  My bigger question is are there GIS systems which provide the level of accuracy which can eliminate or significantly reduce the need for time and money consuming site visits?

39 minutes ago, Landartma said:

My bigger question is are there GIS systems which provide the level of accuracy which can eliminate or significantly reduce the need for time and money consuming site visits?

GIS can have the accuracy of CAD.  The problem is not the software… it’s the data… who collected it, what was their purpose in doing so, and to what level of accuracy was required.  You can only trust data for accuracy when somebody is willing to accept liability for it.  Read the disclaimer on any GIS portal and the metadata for the information you wish to use… you will quickly realize how it may be no better than a crayon tracing of a tourist map that also doubled as a placemat at one point 🙂

There is no substitute for site work and ground truthing when accuracy matters.

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 3