RECAP to Vectorworks

Is there a means to take a recap file and support and import into VW?

the file is .rcp and the support folder has 

.diff

.lit

.rcc

.rcs

.thumbnail 

files in a support folder 

Thank you for any help 

Tom

Thomas Cowdery, PMP
Thomas.Cowdery@ME.com
IATSE Local #15 Journeymen
"This ain't no dress rehearsal we are professionals and this is the big time" Waylon Jennings

5 minutes ago, Thomas.Cowdery said:

Is there a means to take a recap file and support and import into VW?

the file is .rcp and the support folder has 

.diff

.lit

.rcc

.rcs

.thumbnail 

files in a support folder 

Thank you for any help 

Tom

Thomas Cowdery, PMP
Thomas.Cowdery@ME.com
IATSE Local #15 Journeymen
"This ain't no dress rehearsal we are professionals and this is the big time" Waylon Jennings

You need to open the file in Recap and export the file into a format that Vectorworks can import.

.LAS should work fine for points.

obj makes a very nice textured surface model, which you may have to scale to meet your dimensional requirements.  IIRC, the obj model units are typically Meters out of Recap unless otherwise specified.

hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff

I was able to download a trial version of recap to my wife's PC and open the file really cool, however I was unable to save it as anything else, it was saying I had to go through AD cloud computing to change the file type. not sure where to turn on this now, I am doing this for a theatre so funds do not necessarily flow freely. If I knew how that system worked I would probably just do it myself but I have no idea how many cloud computing credits something like this would take. 

I was hoping VW had an import option. 

Thank you for your assistance 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Thomas.Cowdery said:

Jeff

I was able to download a trial version of recap to my wife's PC and open the file really cool, however I was unable to save it as anything else, it was saying I had to go through AD cloud computing to change the file type. not sure where to turn on this now, I am doing this for a theatre so funds do not necessarily flow freely. If I knew how that system worked I would probably just do it myself but I have no idea how many cloud computing credits something like this would take. 

I was hoping VW had an import option. 

Thank you for your assistance 

Sounds like you need to contact the provider of the file and ask for an appropriate format you can use.  It should only take a few minutes, depending on the size of the cloud and the expertise of the person.

If you decide to do it yourself with cloud credits, there should be a tool that tells you how many it will require.  If not, call autodesk and ask them directly.   Tell them you are considering switching your workflow over to recap and would like to test it, they will probably just give you the credits you need.  Alternatively, if you have a contact working for a large firm which has an autodesk account, they probably have credits they aren’t even using… it’s part of the package they offer big companies, yet most employees have no clue they exist or how to take advantage of them for cloud processing & rendering.