REPORTS - SPACE - GLAZING AREA , NET GLAZING CALCULATION

Hello,

I am looking to create a report on spaces for mechanicals data as requested by the building department.

Yes it would be quicker to do that by hand ! but I am set on extracting the data instead. I was able to format the report for most information that I need but I cannot figure out how to get the glazing are and the net glazing area ratio. I can't figure out how to enter the information in the space information panel because it is calculated somehow. I would really appreciate to understand how this is calculated and how to insert the result in my database header. 

Here is what I am working with.

Thanks for the help

CF1588364050_ScreenShot2022-01-20at16_52_14.png.b5e64c072635569d5856ce8485ddcb12.png 

757268669_ScreenShot2022-01-20at16_51_54.thumb.png.2df5b298fad17d08d23bd2105c98f0e2.png

1588364050_ScreenShot2022-01-20at16_52_14.png.b5e64c072635569d5856ce8485ddcb12.png

887868198_ScreenShot2022-01-20at16_52_23.png.86bfafd0f8307c7f34dd8ffc02dd19be.png

1659620332_ScreenShot2022-01-20at17_01_16.png.b1ebe80ffcc7003f88b856742ab3fceb.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Christian Fekete

These values are calculated automatically, but the Spaces need to be auto-bounded to Walls and also the Walls with Windows/Doors inserted in them need to be checked as Exterior in Data pane of the Wall Settings. When both of those conditions are met, you will see the Glazing areas automatically calculated.

• Like 4
  • 8 months later...
On 3/11/2022 at 9:21 AM, Luka Stefanovic said:

These values are calculated automatically, but the Spaces need to be auto-bounded to Walls and also the Walls with Windows/Doors inserted in them need to be checked as Exterior in Data pane of the Wall Settings. When both of those conditions are met, you will see the Glazing areas automatically calculated.

@Luka Stefanovic this isn't working for me... Should I be able to auto-bind a single Wall to the Space + the glazing areas be calculated, as long as the Wall is checked as 'Exterior' in the Data pane? If so it's not happening in my case.

In fact, not only does auto-binding the Space to a Wall have no effect on the glazing values it results in this:

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.5002aaebaee038d5fac4f816f729a84c.jpg

The Space object sprouts a selection handle 1.4km away.

I've tried several Spaces + several Walls + the same thing happens.

Would you have time to look at the file for me?

Thank you

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hi Luka and all, This is very useful ! 

How about reporting the detail /difference between window /ventilation area and window/glazing area ?

And is it possibile to report the window frame area and the window glazing area? How to report the "Energo" data of windows? in space report or at leats in window/door report?

Thank you!

I think I found it : Space Window Area and Space Glazing Area , Correct?

Edited by vmaini

This is very helpful to me to auto-generate indications of room natural light and ventilation code requirement compliance!

ACTUAL QUESTION:

Am I correct that in the "space" records there is not a natural ventilation opening area record equivalent to the "Glazing Area" records?

PARENTHETICAL RELATED RAMBLING:

Another issue - for "open plan" residential projects where there is a fairly arbitrary division between, for example, a "living room" versus a kitchen, does anyone have any advice on how to use a wall to define the spaces with auto-bounding but not create odd looking stuff on the plan?

As I'm typing this, I had the following idea:

- The "real" walls are defined on the floor layout layer

- Create the make-believe wall that divides the open space into separate "spaces" on another layer

- In Navigation, set "Layer Options" to "Show/Snap/Modify Others"

- Use the space tool back on the real floor layout layer to create the space by picking the real and the "make believe" walls

While this is clearly "a hack" it appears to work well.  I can switch to the layer with the imaginary wall and move it (not intersecting the other walls defining the space) and the space updates.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Thomas H Donalek AIA said:

As I'm typing this, I had the following idea:

- The "real" walls are defined on the floor layout layer

- Create the make-believe wall that divides the open space into separate "spaces" on another layer

- In Navigation, set "Layer Options" to "Show/Snap/Modify Others"

- Use the space tool back on the real floor layout layer to create the space by picking the real and the "make believe" walls

While this is clearly "a hack" it appears to work well.  I can switch to the layer with the imaginary wall and move it (not intersecting the other walls defining the space) and the space updates.

There are the '<Virtual wall>' walls in the Libraries which are designed for this purpose. They can be inserted on the same layer as the other Walls but assigned to a 'Wall-Virtual' (or whatever) class which can be turned off.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...