Proposed Building Size

Hi,

I know this isn't an VW question but I do own VW Architect.

I'm proposing a large museum building and have come up against my ignorance. I'd like to get a basic design done in VW before I make the proposal and we hire a trained architect.

So, picture a 100' x 100' square building with an 18' to 20' ceiling -a BIG empty box. The roof would be a basic gable but an 'A-Frame' design might be an option. -I'm in Minnesota, so a northern lodge or Scandinavian woodsy style (stave church) is what I'm after.

Is it possible to span 100' without central supports?

A true timber-frame structure isn't going to clear-span 100'. . .at least not with the timbers available today. Break that into three spans (?32') or possibly even two and you can do some very creative framing that you'd want to leave at least partly exposed from the inside.

Otherwise, steel is the answer. Maybe some faux beamwork the shows through the ceiling. "N." is correct. . .whatever design suits your fancy can be engineered: it just takes time and money.

By the way, I know where there are some 40' and some 60' salvaged bow-trusses ? all timber ? that might be applicable. We frequently design structures, especially large barns, based on the known available materials.

Good luck,

WOW, thanks for all the responses guys. I should have thought of the warehouses around here, not to mention airplane hangers.

The idea is to have the viewer/patron be able to walk in and see all the paintings at once by simply scanning the room. There are 21 paintings and they average 8' x 10' (going up to one that's 12' x 15' high) so they're quite big. I had thought of either splitting them up into groups (and therefore giving each group a seperate room) or putting each painting into its own room (much like a monk's cell) -The paintings are of the life of Christ so that would fit.

As for the long wood beams... perhaps a Sequioa (sp?) or two. Not politically correct I suppose. [smile] Steel would be just fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Travis:

By the way, I know where there are some 40' and some 60' salvaged bow-trusses ? all timber ? that might be applicable. We frequently design structures, especially large barns, based on the known available materials.

I'd LOVE to take you up on that for my studio but unless this project comes through I'm working at Burger Bobs (OK, Mickey D's).

quote:

Originally posted by Dario:

The idea is to have the viewer/patron be able to walk in and see all the paintings at once by simply scanning the room.

If you can bear a couple of posts down the ridge line of your space then the rafter span is more like 16m rather than 32m and that would be fairly straightforward with modern composite beams (rather than endangered old-growth timber ;-)

N.

Give a call to any one of the pre-engineered building manufacturers or suppliers. Usually you can just give them your floor plan & elevations and they will engineer the structure as part of the deal. Open ceilings suck when it comes to HVAC . Trusses offer the ability to create serviceable cathedral ceilings with cat walks etc.