basic workflow question

I am interested in knowing what method people are using to input their floorplans.

Are you taking the blueprints and inputting measurements for walls etc?

Are you scanning your blueprints in something else and tracing to get a guideline, then importing to VW and working from the guides?

Are you doing something else?

Just intersted in how people are getting their floorplans into VW.

Thanks

Dax

i have two ways to put in the floor plan and it depends on the sacle of the project which one I use. If the project is small, then I use the plan that I have and i draw the walls to suit the plan, using the dimensions that are on blueprints.

if the project is bigger or if I have been to suite to measure it then i use spaces to draw the plan. once i have the plan sorted out then I can use the command create walls from spaces.

Dax,

I'm not quite clear what you mean by inputting floorplans. Do you mean existing conditions that you might then revise or add to? Are these "blueprints" you refer to drawn by someone else and represent an existing structure?

You might benefit from this thread:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=004727

Good luck,

[ 05-23-2005, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Travis ]

My approach begins with a 2d snap grid of all the centerlines of all the foundations- columns-walls-roof. I then place Loci at all the critical crossings. This Redline grid is then used for the placement of every object. It is updated as the project morphs by copy&pasting the 2d base poly for 3d objects such as pools & decks, etc. The Grid layer is a locked reference used to catalog and check on placements & alignments. All programming is 'centerline' thus avoiding the common interior & exterior issues and confusions. Once you get the proportionality of the centers fixed everything else falls into place on the subsequent 'drafting' layers.

Okay.. a bit more clarity. I just returned from the 4 day class on VW and feel like I can take on the world! LOL.. well at least I can make a 2 story house and have a well rounded understanding of classes and layers and how the whole thing works.

I am in a unique position because I will be receiving plans from a client and will just need to get them into VW. So my though was, do I read them and draw by measurements, or do I scan and trace them.

I just wanted to see what others were doing and realized the vagueness of my statement.

My eyes are open much wider now after the class. Was great, just wish we had more time to fiddle.

Dax

Definitely read them and tehn draw them. IMO scanning will create numerous issues with scale, precision, line weight, etc. etc. I also do something very similar to EJ, that is I draw shapes (lines, rectangles, whatever) first and then trace the walls on top, later deleting the original shapes/guides. Have fun!

I like scanning and setting a light color and having it there in the back, but in essence just as a visual. You still have to draw using measurements the way others have suggested.

Though I do remember working with a new grad that had a scan and just used the line tool to trace over everything with no snaps or constraints of any kind. She soon moved on to making a physical model of a fireplace out of tracing paper and white-out.

• 2 weeks later...