Creating new Drop Point Styles & Symbols

FKA

Hello,

I am trying to create my own Drop Point Styles and Symbols but it is not that straight forward as I thought it would be. Can anyone help how to create a new Category of Droppoints and how to find new created Drop Point Symbols to select these in the sytle.

When I edit a Drop Point Style and want to change the symbol the selectable symbols are filtered by the category that is set for the style.

This seams to work by the folder in wich these live.

But how can I change or add a category? In the category dropdownmenu is only the active category selectable and "all". But when I select "all" and try to select a symbol, I can not find any symbols at all.

So my questions are:

- how change the category of a Drop Point Style?

- how to add a new category?

- how to set the default category of a Drop Point Symbol?

- where do the symbols need to live or how do they need to be build to be found when editing a style?

Thanks for the help

Florian

1232835446_Bildschirmfoto2022-01-18um10_48_10.png.aa3c6273e68edcefd6935062ed092ad8.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @helleMOMENTE,

21 hours ago, helleMOMENTE said:

- how to add a new category?

- The categories in the drop points are used only for the symbol selection filtering and do not limit the styles in any way. The categories are the folder names of the resource folders located in "Drop Point Symbols" folder in the resource manager as shown in the image below. In order to create a new category, simply create/rename a folder from there and make sure you have a symbol in it.

image.png

- where do the symbols need to live or how do they need to be build to be found when editing a style?

- In the resource folders mentioned above. If All is selected for category all of the folders will be visible. Otherwise, only the folder with name matching the selected category will be visible.

- how to set the default category of a Drop Point Symbol?

- If you are asking about the default category for newly created drop point objects this could be done from the Drop Point's tool preferences. If you are asking about setting the category of a drop point symbol, this can be done by placing it in the correct resource folder.

- how change the category of a Drop Point Style?

- Simply edit the style and change its category. Keep in mind that this will only change the filter applied to what symbols does this style see when trying to change its symbol.

Let me know if my answers were not detailed enough or if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- In the resource folders mentioned above. If All is selected for category all of the folders will be visible. Otherwise, only the folder with name matching the selected category will be visible.

Hello and thanks for the quick reply,

Ok I do understand the filtering funktion, but when I am editing a DropPoint style and I want to change the category the pulldown menu only gives my the current category of the style and "<all>" (I am using the german version so its "<Alle>" in my case), and when I select "<all>" the filtering blocks out every category, so there are no symbols to select left (see screenshot).

Neither in my symbol folders in my document nor in the default library folders.

So how do I select a symbol that's coming from my own folder like "my category" or how to change the category of a style that I am editing to set the filter for other symbols?

It feels like a bug, because if "<all>" would deactivate the filter and I would be able to select a symbol from any category and the style would take the folder name as its new category, everything would be fine.

I hope I could make it clear.

Thanks for the support

Florian

356956600_Bildschirmfoto2022-01-19um09_13_28.thumb.png.5d19d6a498461062caa05936f719c3a5.png

Thanks for the clarification. Okay, I think that this might be a localization issue. Are you working on a Mac or a Win? Could you send me the connectCAD.vwr (for Win) or connectCAD.vwlibrary (for Mac) file from the app folder, so that I can check the localization there? It might be that you have to rename your "Drop Point Symbols" folder to something else specified in the localization.

Also, can you send me the "Drop Point Symbols.vwx" file too or a screenshot of it from the resource manager?

Thanks for the files. It seems like your version has the symbols folder localized but this is not the case for the default content and the file that you are using. Can you please try to rename the folder named "Drop Point Symbols" to "Drop Point-Symbole" and let me know if this fixes the problem? You will have to do the same change for the default content file and then refresh your libraries or just import all symbols in your active file in the correct folder.