How to Model Crooked Walls?

Hi everyone, A client asked me to create a 3D BIM model of an old church here in Quebec Canada. I went scan the whole place with our Laser scanner to have the exact dimensions and all the details. After bringing the point cloud in VW, I saw that the walls are very crooked. I tried to model those with the wall tool with some wall projection and recess, Nurbs and Loft tool, Subdivision tool, and many more. I'm kind of lost and don't know what would be the best solution. How would you model those walls...? Is there somewhere a Marionnette script who could give an angle to the wall?

Thanks a lot for your help!

CrookedWalls.png

• Like 1

I recently modelled a crooked building from a point cloud but it is just modelled from 3D solids rather than BIM objects. Is it critical your model consists of Walls/Slab/Roof objects? It is very hard to do anything that deviates too much from straight/level/square/plumb with those tools...

image.png.e3744d372c532820541219445b92483f.png

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, _leorus said:

Please teach me how to make those roof tiles. It looks like proper "ondulating" tiles. Did you modeled manually? How did you inserted them all? 

No the tiles are just a texture, not modelled.

See these for example: https://www.textures.com/browse/ceramic-old/2129

But the roofs themselves were modelled, rather than created using Roofs or Roof Faces, so they are somewhat undulating/uneven which adds to the realism, as opposed to being dead flat/straight/level

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tom W. said:

No the tiles are just a texture, not modelled.

See these for example: https://www.textures.com/browse/ceramic-old/2129

But the roofs themselves were modelled, rather than created using Roofs or Roof Faces, so they are somewhat undulating/uneven which adds to the realism, as opposed to being dead flat/straight/level

So you created an ondulating surface and applied that specific texture, instead of a flat roof with the same shape. 

Yes. The old barn in those screenshots had a very irregularly-shaped roof that I wanted to model fairly faithfully (from the point cloud) + I ended up doing it using the tried + tested site-model-to-landscape-area method 🙂:

But the other roofs shown aren't as uneven as this one (the hip roof on the cart shed was created using a Roof object so isn't undulating at all) + they still look pretty authentic so most of it's really just down to finding/creating a decent texture

12 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Yes. The old barn in those screenshots had a very irregularly-shaped roof that I wanted to model fairly faithfully (from the point cloud) + I ended up doing it using the tried + tested site-model-to-landscape-area method 🙂:

But the other roofs shown aren't as uneven as this one (the hip roof on the cart shed was created using a Roof object so isn't undulating at all) + they still look pretty authentic so most of it's really just down to finding/creating a decent texture

And about the overhang or the eave? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tom,

Your examples are very interesting for us, because we do mostly renovation projects here in Germany. At this point our 3D Workflow in Vectorworks is still rudimentary so may I ask, how you got usable floor plans from the 3D solids. Via Hybrid object?

Hello @Suuella 

The 3D solids look fine in section:

1065345078_Screenshot2022-03-13at06_31_19.thumb.png.f4a81e3f8431c98af1c839f4bfc24a95.png

But because they are 3D-only objects they need converting into hybrid symbols or Auto Hybrids in order to look solid in Top/Plan.

1466089676_Screenshot2022-03-13at06_52_31.thumb.png.cda21c8e54a9bef16c395058ad1646f8.png

Ultimately I need to incorporate new architecture into this model using Wall/Slab/Roof tools but because I've been tied up on other projects I haven't started on this yet so am not sure how it will work out... I suspect I will end up creating a completely new BIM model on separate layers using the dimensionally-accurate 3D-solid model of the existing architecture as reference. I could carry on + model all the new elements in 3D solids as well but this would be really painful + I'd lose all the benefit/functionality of the BIM tools. 

I am also generally always renovating or adding to existing buildings but they are never normally so irregularly-shaped that I've felt the need to accurately model them in 3D solids first. I've always been able to draw them up using the Wall/Slab/Roof tools.

• Like 1