How can I show a rustic render (stucco) finish for a house?

Hello all,

I am looking for a bit of advice on a project. I'm slowly edging my way into more 3D work, but need to show a house with a more rustic render finish to the edges and openings. Something like the attached would be great if it's not a real pain to do as it just looks far too 'crisp' at the moment!

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

David

Rendered.jpg

11 hours ago, jeff prince said:

The texture is easy, the openings will require modeling to get those nice rounded and non uniform edges.

Thanks for the response. Can you elaborate a little about how you might approach this?

I also have some external corners on the walls that are 90˚, but again at the moment they look razor sharp, would this need the same approach as you are suggesting for the openings?

Sorry for butting in here but I was interested in trying this out for my own use being someone who also has the joy of modelling lots of old buildings...!

Assuming you're using the Wall Tool + not modelling this from 3D solids, the window openings you can do with the new Wall Closures feature if you're using VW2022. The Wall corners you can do using a 'wall hole cutter symbol' which is a little bit fiddly because at the corners you're effectively cutting two walls so require two symbols but not sure if there's any other way to do it, would love to know...

1013790768_Screenshot2022-01-17at10_18_27.thumb.png.e1c19ab339c5d359d4418be6189cb0ff.png

See this thread for info on wall hole cutter symbols:

I used a uniform extrude for the cutter symbol but you could use a tapered irregular shape if you really wanted to go to town on the rusticity!

• Like 2

That looks superb @Tom W., just the type of thing I was looking for!

I'm on 2020 Architect at the moment and using the Wall tool, but the opening tool is out of my reach with my version, but if I can at least get the external corners of the building to look a bit less polished that would be great. I'll go off and review the thread you've mentioned, thank you!

I should have said, this is a new build.  🙂

Edited by David Gregory
6 hours ago, David Gregory said:

That looks superb @Tom W., just the type of thing I was looking for!

I'm on 2020 Architect at the moment and using the Wall tool, but the opening tool is out of my reach with my version, but if I can at least get the external corners of the building to look a bit less polished that would be great. I'll go off and review the thread you've mentioned, thank you!

I should have said, this is a new build.  🙂

Cool. On VW2020 if you create your own custom doors/window symbols they could incorporate wall hole components which cut the walls with the curved edges. Or if you used standard VW doors/windows you could probably apply separate Wall Recesses to each opening to do the same. Or separate Wall Hole symbols. But this would be a bit of a faff...

Out of interest what is the proposed wall construction that will result in the rustic look + how pronounced will the curved edges be? How will they be formed in reality? I've had some involvement with lime rendered hempcrete which gives a similar look. The openings/edges are literally hand sculpted.

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Cool. On VW2020 if you create your own custom doors/window symbols they could incorporate wall hole components which cut the walls with the curved edges. Or if you used standard VW doors/windows you could probably apply separate Wall Recesses to each opening to do the same. Or separate Wall Hole symbols. But this would be a bit of a faff...

Out of interest what is the proposed wall construction that will result in the rustic look + how pronounced will the curved edges be? How will they be formed in reality? I've had some involvement with lime rendered hempcrete which gives a similar look. The openings/edges are literally hand sculpted.

Wall hole components is new to me, but I'll take a look and I still need to get my head around proper setup of symbols. I'm just glad that there's a way even if it might take some playing around to get to it!

As for the construction, it will be a wood based backing board before applying lime render, so as you say it will very much be hand sculpted. I want to go for soft, broken edges, but not too far or it becomes a bit 'funhouse mirror'! 

I have lots to learn still!

5 hours ago, Mat Caird said:

You could try creating a texture with a displacement map - you'll need to render in Final Quality Renderworks to see it.

Here's a teaser - I spent 5 minutes on this. One render is OpenGL / shaded, the other I've applied the texture to the wall, and Final Quality

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 4.31.56 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 4.31.27 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 4.33.54 PM.jpg

That looks really interesting - I knew that there would be at least one way to do it! I've not played with displacement maps before, so I'll have a go and see how it sits - thank you!