Site model - problem clipped corners and borders

pivke

Hello community!

at first i've got to excuse for my english, i'm not natively speaking english but i'll try my best. As a second I wanna thank all people that always and continously are trying to help others on this board. I've learned many things from those topics.

Anyway, i've got a problem with the site model creation. I've got a survey-system myself and took some points from an existing terrain (it's basically a construction site). I've exported those points to one big plain text file and only exported it in the format "X,Y,Z". Vectorworks interprets those coordinates correctly too. When having a look at the about 150 imported coordinates as locus objects (see image 1), they look good and correct. When creating the site model out of those points, vectorworks seems to clip a part/border of the terrain (see image 2). It's only about that side of the terrain. Everything else is being created correctly and 1:1.

When going in another grid mode (see image 3) that border seems to be "broken"?!

Strange thing is that I've tried to create a site model from my GPS data before and always there was a smal part of the border where this exact same problem occured. Somebody has a hint for me on how to solve this problem?

And maybe to make things clear: Looking at the first image, there is a sidewalk around the site (from top left to top right side where the points are kinda roundly). I've took coordinates from the complete sidewalk too.

Thank you very much in advance, this is driving me crazy... 😞

1yojk0.png

22pkl9.png

3u7ju9.png

1st, your English is great.

it looks as if you have a few points with a significantly lower value than the others, hence the odd drop seen in the model.

I like to add some points beyond my actual site area to get a more desirable shape and then use a poly to crop it.  I’m sure if you posted the file someone would take a look at it for you.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

1st, your English is great.

it looks as if you have a few points with a significantly lower value than the others, hence the odd drop seen in the model.

I like to add some points beyond my actual site area to get a more desirable shape and then use a poly to crop it.  I’m sure if you posted the file someone would take a look at it for you.

Thank you very much for the answer!

Indeed that were my thoughts too. But when checking the coordinates in the plain text file the "heights" (Z-coordinates) are looking correct. For some reason vectorworks messes up that part of the site.

Another interesting fact: I've tried to generate site models before with other terrains I've survey'ed and all of them had this kind of issue at one specific area. And it's always like this maybe 300 millimeter high "border"?!

Anyway, maybe someone want's to try it, I've attached the coordinate file. Importing it is simple: Just choose for delimeter "Other" and type "," as seperator. Data format is just X,Y,Z.

Thanks again in advance!

sitemodel-points.txt

@jeff prince
Wow, thank you very much again for your awesome work!

I'm still beginner in vectorworks and i'm not sure if i can follow you all the way up. But i think i get the idea of how you are trying to avoid this "green dams".

You said that you left both models in the file. I still see the site model with those "green dams", is there any possibility to hide the wrong one and show the correct one only? Would like to have a look at it and re-measure the pavement that goes around 2 sides of the site model (that way I can check if it was created correctly, I think pavement should be about 1.50m wide).

Thanks!

pavementb1jiz.pngborderjjjv6.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 1:20 PM, jeff prince said:

Place the site models on different design layers and you can then turn off the one you don’t want to see.

Thank you very much for your help! Unluckily I was in hospital for quite a long time so only now I have the time to get back into this. I will try to recreate the process you've did there.

Again, thank you thousand times!

Edited by pivke
  • Like 2