Vectorworks 2018 Crashes Immediately After Opening

Jeffrey

Question

Hi all,

I recently upgraded a few parts of my computer (CPU, motherboard and SSD) and did a fresh install of Windows 10. I have installed Vectorworks 2018 SP6 back onto my computer and can't get it to work. When I open Vectorworks, the program loads as usual (e.g. initialises plugins, displays serial number), displays the workspace for 5 seconds and then abruptly crashes (with no warning/error message). I have made sure all my graphics and other drivers are up to date.

After lots of troubleshooting I have discovered that if I disconnect the internet Vectorworks runs perfectly fine (absolutely no crashing). When connected, it crashes immediately after startup. Is vectorworks trying to connect to an online library/server? I don't have any anti-virus software installed on the computer which would potentially block it. I have also made sure windows firewall allows Vectorworks. 

As an experiment, I installed the trial version of Vectorworks 2022 and it worked perfectly fine. So I'm assuming this problem specically relates to Vectorworks 2018 and my hardware???

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My computer specs are:

CPU: Intel i7 11700

Motherboard: Asus TUF B560M-Plus

Memory: Corsair 32gb ram

Storage: Samsung 1TB 980 Pro SSD

Graphics: EVGA GeGore GTX 980 Ti FTW

9 answers to this question

On 11/23/2022 at 12:40 PM, Cwhite said:

I am having the same problems after installing vectorworks 2018 on my new pc. It works if I disconnect the internet. Did you find a resolution? 

@Cwhite did you find a solution to this... just upgraded to a new PC, yes its Win11 but VW2018 runs, and as you say if disconnected form the internet no crashing... the problem is seems to be as the software trys to connect and verify the license??? Any help appreciated? 

I'm having the same issue. I was told by VW tech support that VW 2018 doesn't run on Windows 11. We know that's not true because when we turn off the internet connection it runs just fine. The reason it won't run with the internet is because Vectorworks has decided not to support it any longer. They want you to buy more. They should stand by the product they sold just 5 years ago for a lot of money to sole practioners trying to make a living. Nemetschek you are acting disgraceful and greedy.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

@DonnaS Maybe this is related to Windows Defender blocking Vectorworks 2018 - please try the following:

How do I allow apps through Windows Firewall Windows 11?

• Select the Start  menu, type Allow an app through Windows Firewall, and select it from the list of results.
  • Select Change settings. You might be asked for an administrator password or to confirm your choice.
  • To add an app, select the check box next to the app, or select Allow another app and enter the path for the app.
  • To remove an app, clear the check box next to the app, and then select OK.

Please let me know if that works. I don't see anything preventing Vectorworks 2018 from launching or working in Windows 11, even if we do not provide support for this version. 

Old post, I know, but did anyone try JuanP's Firewall suggestion and did it help?

6 copies of VW 2018 working fine on Windows 11.

2 copies on new i9 computers and closing down immediately while on-line.

It appears as though both copies activated correctly, but cannot be used...

Okay... after dwelling on it overnight and while working (on a different computer) today...

Playing around with opening and closing ports achieved nothing but hours wasted. Ditto adding a Program rule to allow Vectorworks 2018.

HOWEVER, I created a Windows Firewall outbound rule that blocks Vectorworks! Sort of the opposite of what JuanP suggested.

The problem may be that occasionally Vectorworks goes off to check its Activation and with this rule in place, it won't be able to. Perhaps Disable Rule > Activate Vectorworks > Enable Rule.

But - Vectorworks 2018 lives on Windows 11!!!

On 11/17/2023 at 9:07 AM, JuanP said:

@DonnaS Maybe this is related to Windows Defender blocking Vectorworks 2018 - please try the following:

How do I allow apps through Windows Firewall Windows 11?

• Select the Start  menu, type Allow an app through Windows Firewall, and select it from the list of results.
  • Select Change settings. You might be asked for an administrator password or to confirm your choice.
  • To add an app, select the check box next to the app, or select Allow another app and enter the path for the app.
  • To remove an app, clear the check box next to the app, and then select OK.

Please let me know if that works. I don't see anything preventing Vectorworks 2018 from launching or working in Windows 11, even if we do not provide support for this version. 

@JuanP

As @DonnaS suggested, this does appear deliberate on the part of Vectorworks to force users to upgrade!

Do you think that as a show of good faith, Vectorworks might address this issue and fix it?

I haven't logged incoming and outgoing port activity when Vectorworks 2018 closes down, but assume that the problem is part and parcel of the monitoring that Vectorworks and their distributors are able to do, rather than the activation process.

I know that as part of this monitoring, distributors have a log and are able to see where a license is being used, what the device name is and for how long the user has been active... I have always thought that this was a little over the top and wondered how many countries would have privacy laws that would disallow this behaviour!?!