Visibility of specific objects in titleblock

I'm creating a titleblock. I'd like to have the ability to control the visibility of preliminary stamps, seal, and other information via a checkbox in the Object Info Palette, or perhaps via a project setting. I guess I can do this with separate classes for each object but would I prefer to keep the number of classes within a project to a minimum. 

Is there any way to accomplish this? Do I have to do it via marionette? If so, how to I attach a marionette routine to an existing graphic?

Thanks beforehand,

Rudy Beuc

I don't think there is a way to do this with the standard Title Block Border object except to put each item in a different class and use class visibilities.

You could possibly create a Title Block using marionette, but you will not have all the Project/Sheet/Revision/Issue functionality you get in the standard TBB.

It might be easier to create a separate Marionette Object with the stamps that you could place on top of the TBB and turn on and off the stamps from there.

The attached file has a simple Marionette script that will give you check boxes that will turn the circle and square in the Marionette object on and off.  

Note that I edited the standard Bool node to output the opposite value so the objects show when the check box is checked rather than when it is not checked.

Marionette Test.vwx

• Like 2

Ok, the title block is a 2d symbol before it gets inserted into a border. 

I'm wondering if there is a way to have Marionette control the opacity/transparency  of select objects within the symbol thereby imparting an On Off function. 

But perhaps, the class option is the path of least resistance....

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

On 1/14/2022 at 12:25 PM, Pat Stanford said:

I don't think there is a way to do this with the standard Title Block Border object except to put each item in a different class and use class visibilities.

You could possibly create a Title Block using marionette, but you will not have all the Project/Sheet/Revision/Issue functionality you get in the standard TBB.

It might be easier to create a separate Marionette Object with the stamps that you could place on top of the TBB and turn on and off the stamps from there.

The attached file has a simple Marionette script that will give you check boxes that will turn the circle and square in the Marionette object on and off.  

Note that I edited the standard Bool node to output the opposite value so the objects show when the check box is checked rather than when it is not checked.

Marionette Test.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

If this is about the Drawing Stamp only, then you have the individual control from Title block border settings dialog, as well as the style control from there (if you are using styles). Also, you can use the Title Block Manager to edit all the TBBs in the file and show/hide their drawing stamps, if they are not set to By Style.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

11 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov my read of @rudybeuc@gmail.com request is to have multiple graphical drawing stamps that can be turned on and off on individual title blocks.

As far as I know, the Drawing Stamp is text only, and you can only apply a single stamp to a title block at one time.

Hoping I am wrong you and you point us in the correct direction.

Hello @Pat Stanford,

If this is the case you are right, there is no way to do this with the title block border at this time. Thanks for clarifying this! 🙂

What I could think of would be the use of symbols in the TBB Layout and control their visibility with classes. That way the stamps will look exactly the same in the different objects and it will be easy to edit and show/hide them. But I guess this is not the best solution, since it introduces new classes just for this workflow.

• Like 1

Yes, this appears to be what I have to do. 

I also want to use my own sheet border. One that my office has been using for years. It doesn't seem possible for me to have custom graphics for the "Title Block Border", so It also seems I'm going to have to completely forgo using the "Title Block Border Tool" for now.

Hopefully new versions will have increased capabilities for border and titleblock graphics and related customizations.

In the attached screenshot my title block and border are 2 different 2d symbols. The titleblock has text currently linked to records.

I'm in the process of converting my practice from Revit to Vectorworks. In my previous workflow, I could control the visibility individual objects within a family (symbol or plug in in VW) with a yes/no parameter.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

On 1/18/2022 at 12:41 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Hello @Pat Stanford,

If this is the case you are right, there is no way to do this with the title block border at this time. Thanks for clarifying this! 🙂

What I could think of would be the use of symbols in the TBB Layout and control their visibility with classes. That way the stamps will look exactly the same in the different objects and it will be easy to edit and show/hide them. But I guess this is not the best solution, since it introduces new classes just for this workflow.

Screenshot (100).png

3 hours ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

I also want to use my own sheet border. One that my office has been using for years. It doesn't seem possible for me to have custom graphics for the "Title Block Border", so It also seems I'm going to have to completely forgo using the "Title Block Border Tool" for now.

Hopefully new versions will have increased capabilities for border and titleblock graphics and related customizations.

Hello @rudybeuc@gmail.com,

Actually it is possible to customize the graphics/layout of the title block border. Simply edit the title block layout and put there anything you would like to have.

Let me know if you have difficulties achieving this.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

But then wouldn't the border graphics be integral to the titleblock symbol? Not the "TitleBlock Border"? How would fit to printable area work then?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

8 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Actually it is possible to customize the graphics/layout of the title block border. Simply edit the title block layout and put there anything you would like to have.

Let me know if you have difficulties achieving this.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

1 minute ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

But then wouldn't the border graphics be integral to the titleblock symbol? Not the "TitleBlock Border"? How would fit to printable area work then?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

There is no need to use a symbol in the title block border. You can directly add your graphics in the title block layout, which is part of the title block border. If you want multiple TBBs to have the same graphics you can use styles. Here is more on the topic in the Vectorworks help site - https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm#t=VW2021_Guide%2FSetup%2FEditing_a_title_block_layout.htm%23XREF_96155_Editing_a_Title&rhsearch=title block border&rhsyns=

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

So I tried again tonight. I think I made some progress but am still quite frustrated.

Attached is the file I'm working with. Also attached is a screenshot video of my current issue.

I've figured that I'm just going to have a separate style for each page size. I've got a 24" x 36" size completed, I think.

However, the titlebolck manager will not recognize the custom project fields I've included. What's going wrong now?

Tired and going to bed,

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Standard Title Blocks RBeuc.vwx

The problem is that you are still working with symbols and custom records, which is the old way (Sheet border way) of doing things. Title Block Borders work without the need of custom records and symbols. Everything is in the title block layout and title block settings/manager dialogs. I think that this tutorial from @Andy Broomell will help you in your work with TBBs - https://www.andybroomell.com/vectorworks-title-block-tutorial

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

Dug into the attaching data bit tonight.

Please understand I've been trying to digest and understand alot of information from various sources during this process.

So the P_FieldName format is pre 2018? What's it now? Does project data, and sheet data, have to be manipulated from a select number of tools?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

21 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

The problem is that you are still working with symbols and custom records, which is the old way (Sheet border way) of doing things. Title Block Borders work without the need of custom records and symbols. Everything is in the title block layout and title block settings/manager dialogs. I think that this tutorial from @Andy Broomell will help you in your work with TBBs - https://www.andybroomell.com/vectorworks-title-block-tutorial

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

- Did you check out the tutorial I sent you above? In Part 2 Data there is a very good explanation how and where to create your data fields, so please try to read it and test it out on your side to see how it works in practice.

I have checked your test file and I see that you have added some fields to the Project Data which is good. Just keep in mind that Project data is document wide - meaning it will be always the same for all title block borders in the same file. Also, I noticed that you have 2 title block borders overlapping each other in the same layer, which might be something you created by mistake?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Yes, but to be honest, I've watched so many videos and gone through so many tutorials, It's all kind of of blurring in to one big mass, some of it at times seems to be contradictory. 

I don't know how the overlapping occurs. It just happened again. I'll have to keep an eye out for exactly how that happens. 

I think I do want that information to be project based. When I create a design iteration, it's in a different file. I copy, paste, and rename the file with a suffix Dx. This is my way of keeping unmolested records.

I don't know how I'm going to work with revision data yet. Currently revisions are by sheet and I'm just placing text over the titleblock. This has got to change, but as of yet, I'm not sure how.

As stated before, It looks like I'm going to have a unique TitleBlockBorderStyle for each different sheet size.

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

5 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Did you check out the tutorial I sent you above? In Part 2 Data there is a very good explanation how and where to create your data fields, so please try to read it and test it out on your side to see how it works in practice.

I have checked your test file and I see that you have added some fields to the Project Data which is good. Just keep in mind that Project data is document wide - meaning it will be always the same for all title block borders in the same file. Also, I noticed that you have 2 title block borders overlapping each other in the same layer, which might be something you created by mistake?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

19 minutes ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

I don't know how I'm going to work with revision data yet. Currently revisions are by sheet and I'm just placing text over the titleblock. This has got to change, but as of yet, I'm not sure how.

- You can use Title Block Revision Data for this. Everything you need should be in Title Block Border Settings dialog.