Uncalled-for texture overrides

I am finishing a project and I am ready to publish.

Except i am not.

First I have to select every single piece of geometry in the file and painstakingly remove every unwanted texture override.

132 uncalled-for texture overrides from a single file just this morning, and I had to enter and exit 14 symbols to get to all of them.

Except - did I really get all of them? I might only find out, when I am presenting the renderings to the client...

With VW 2022 this has become the single most annoying aspect of my workflow.

I have complained about this before, but the only feedback from anyone at VW is that this might somehow be a cool feature.

????

Please fix this.

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
spelling

Oh – I forgot to mention:

These SOB's are sprinkled all over the construction tree of every single complex object.

Remove all unwanted texture overrides from an add-solid'ed object.

Enter into that solid object – and there they are are again.

Perhaps in only one of the objects, perhaps in all of them.

Remove the unwanted texture overrides from any of those constituent objects. 

Add a fillet to that object - and there they are again.

The only way to avoid them is to only ever use virgin objects with no c.. – nah, I am bullsh**ing – If you use solid operations, there is really no way to avoid them...

spelling

Is it possible that these textures are applied to the class, and set to "Use at creation"?

I often still struggle with textures with groups & symbols. A group will inaccurately show a class in the object info but once you click into a group or symbol I find its another class? Never understood this.

Recently I had a revelation that maybe this is why the none class exist?  Create any library symbols on none so you don't bring in any unwanted classes, fills, or textures? There are some things with these items I still get confused with after 15 years. This sounds like that just on a much larger scale.

I use class to texture objects, and this is at the core of the issue.

I also reuse objects from earlier projects whenever I can.

As a result, I model using elements, that may or may not already have an assigned texture.

When I am done modelling, I assign a class to give it a surface.

This is supposed to be really smart. This is supposed to be all the rave.

But some programmer apparently thinks he knows better? I don't think so.

This was never a feature, please do not try to make it into one.

This is an error.

• Like 1

Maybe trying the opposite of set by class and just add the texture via the object info. or maybe try taking the objects putting them in a new file setting them to none and then bring back in and try to class? Im just tossing out ideas that have helped me with this in the past.

I have often had to resort to the eye dropper tool at times even to get a texture that I sent in the class that wont take. So I get the eye dropper tool grab that txture from another object and they apply. I will admit textures has me scratching my head at times as well. Best of luck!