Replace scaled 2D symbols with Existing Tree objects?

7 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

I always seem to get CAD site plans with symbols for existing trees.

Often the scale of the symbol is the DBH of the tree and the canopy is a nearby text.

I've put a 2d locus in the symbol and run 'create existing tree from loci' but the scale doesn't transfer.

Is there a way to do this and retain more info?

...current project has hundreds of trees!!

I used to get stuff like that.

Ask the person doing the tree survey if they can provide you with their point file and associated data dictionary/point format description.  Chances are, they collected the information In the field with a hand held data collector or other survey instrument and the CAD file you received is a graphic representation of that data processed in a survey extension of some CAD software, a fairly useless graphic representation of data for your purpose.  Hopefully you can get that and if you have input prior to the data being collected, could specify how you want it delivered.

If you are stuck with what you have, I’m curious to see if there is a non script/programmatic method of getting your desired result.  Otherwise, you may need to make some friends with our script writing community 😉 

14 hours ago, jeff prince said:

...If you are stuck with what you have...

In this case I am.

It's a survey from 20 years ago that the client already had.

And literally hundreds of trees...

I foresee a couple of hours of mindless clicking.

Yeah - I was wondering if it would be possible to get X Y data from the text object tree labels and scrub the relevant info (size and ID) and output it all in a format readable by the existing tree command.

Seems like a cool project.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, hollister design Studio said:

I was wondering if it would be possible to get X Y data from the text object tree labels

There was a script posted in a thread here somewhere which converted text blocks in topo surveys into 3D loci (to allow the creation of site models from 2D survey files) which doesn't sound a million miles off from what you're talking about...?

• Like 1