Roof Too Complex

I'm trying to build a roof (all hip) on a 3000 foot house. I have no problem until I start adjusting the different wall heights. After I change a couple of heights it goes back to a polygon and gives me an error message that it's too complex.

I tried building each roof section based on it's height but they don't tie the roofline together correctly. I get valleys in the middle of the roof and strange little shapes all over.

How do you guys do this?

Thanks

I use the roof face tool. I've found it gives me a lot more control over the shape of the roof- especially with different wall heights. I've tried using the create roof tool, but have had the same problem you're describing, even on some relatively simple projects.

-Jake

it pays to keep the roofs as simple as possible, both for VectorWorks and for the builder. When you select the walls and use the auto-roofer, VectorWorks does it?s best, but it?s best to check and simplify the roof.

I edit the auto roof using the 2D reshape tool. This technique does a great job of getting rid of the bits that can stop the auto roof. then if you still need to edit the roof more, then ungroup it and you get roof faces.

I've had a lot of trouble with the roof framer on roof faces, does anyone else have trouble with this?

Truth is ... best to just build the Roof like a skilled Carpenter. Start with a basic rect gable then decompose it ... that's when the fun begins. Roofs are one of the best challenges in VW. Creating a perfect roof frame provides great satisfaction. Think like a Builder ! Also, it helps if you begin every design at the roof frame.

• 2 weeks later...

I can almost get the roof to work by moving things 1" at a time or changing the shape a little. It's way to time consuming but it almost works. I seem to finally run into a dead end I can't solve.

Chris using your method after you have the roof ungrouped and you change a roof face, what command do you use to extend and clip each roof face so you get a clean roof like the one "create roof" generates?

Larry, with out knowing what you are trying to achieve, I can only give general advice

But so far i have found that you can achieve a lot with a standard roof. Where this fails I ungroup the roof and edit the roof faces to suit the building.

Where the roof would never have worked, i make the roofs as roof faces from the start.

Chris I sent you my address.

Johnathan I have a roof with 3 different ceiling heights. I can almost get the auto roof to work but finally run into a dead end. So now you ungroup into roof faces and edit them individually.

The problem is you can't figure out where the intersections are from the top plan view. When you start connecting the roof faces with multiple roof planes it gets really difficult.

What I would like to edit the roof faces individually, is a 3D command that works like the 2D extend or join, so you could select two roof faces and have VW join and trim them.

Thanks guys.

Larry, i don't like to mention my manual again, but there is an exercise on how to use the roof to find the intersection of the roofs. if you can figure this out, you use the convert copy to line command to find the intersection of the two roofs. then copy this into the roof when you edit it.

Remember that in VectorWorks 11, to edit an object double click on it....

Usaully when my roof is said to be too complex, I make the rest of the height and pitch edits and it usaully appears and when it doesn't I just get it close, then I ungroup and edit individual faces. Pasting the neighboring roof faces and adding some 45 and straight lines (for snapping) to the edit window makes this task simple, but don't forget to delete everything other then the roof face before closing the edit window.

More power to ya'

SacSurfin'

PowerPC Dual 1.8 G5, VW 11.5

3 GB RAM, MAC OS 10.3.9

I think I have it figured out. Sac I did just what you suggest. After the auto roof tool fails I take what I have and ungroup. Then use the face tool only. Draw 2D guide lines, cut them, edit the roof face, paste the guide line in place, make the edits, delete the guide lines, and exit the edit. It works but is a lot of time and effort.

That auto roof tool is really valuable. Robert says a future update will fix it's problems and no more "too complex" error messages.

Thanks to everyone, you guys are alright.