ADA handrails?

I am a newbie so, please excuse my ignorance if I have missed something obvious.

The handrail creation tool is very cool but, is there a way to have it create terminations that conform to the ADA? Or, even return it to terminate in the wall? It's usefulness is pretty limited w/o some method of proper termination.

I would really appreciate hearing how someone with a little experience handles this problem.

Thank you very much.

We use the Handrail Tool for the safety railing portion, and do Extrude Along Path for the grippable portion.

In plan view, draw a line, add radii at the ends to indicate the returns. Convert to NURBs. Switch to Front/Side View and adjust in the Z-plane for ramps and stairs. Draw a circle of the appropriate size and select both the NURBs curve and the circle; Extrude Along Path. Voila. . .grippable handrail with appropriate ends.

Good luck,

quote:

Originally posted by Travis:

We use the Handrail Tool for the safety railing portion, and do Extrude Along Path for the grippable portion.

In plan view, draw a line, add radii at the ends to indicate the returns. Convert to NURBs. Switch to Front/Side View and adjust in the Z-plane for ramps and stairs. Draw a circle of the appropriate size and select both the NURBs curve and the circle; Extrude Along Path. Voila. . .grippable handrail with appropriate ends.

Good luck,

Thank you for your help. This sounds like a good system.

I haven't gotten a chance to try it out though and I'm not quite sure what command/tool forms "radii." I suppose your talking qabout some form of small arc.

I guess that, were I to need a verticle return to the ground, I could do something similar in a front or side view? Or do you mean "Top/plan View," in which case, I suppose, I should change my plane of reference to side or front and use "Top Plan View" from there?

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Yes, to return to the ground, you'd be drawing from one of the side views. Once you convert to NURBs, your lines will have 3D properties.

And yes, you draw a radius with the Arc Tool and then Join the arc and lines into a Polyline.

Good luck,