Architect or Design Suite

i am currently evaluating VW for use in an Architecture/Interiors firm specializing in custom residential. VW Architect seems like a good fit for us, but I am now looking at the additional capabilities included in the full VW Design Suite.  Do other Architects make use of Landmark or others?  Seems like for $500 extra annually, it would be some good additional features.  Thanks

I’m a landscape architect and bought the designer package to have access to some of the arch and spotlight features.   I think that’s the way to go, especially for architects because they are constantly wanting to do things not in Architect… you will too because architect is lacking some key features.

The company should eliminate confusion and just give everyone in AEC Designer or Fundamentals as choices.  It’s not like it’s costing them anything.

• Like 3

Yes, mainly the rest of VW Landmark comfort.

(And maybe vice versa, although, also not many landscape architects will ever use all BIM Tools)

While I would like to be able add some Spotlight Objects for decoration or visualization

properties from time to time, I am not really interested into those entertainment features.

And to be honest, I would rather prioritize to have some HVAC or building engineer BIM

Tools available for design testing or visualization purposes, than waiting for the IFC

imports.

But I am an Apple Fan.

Apple prevented my from to many decision making stress.

(At least from 2007-2012)

MacBook or MacBook Pro, iMac or Mac Pro, OSX or iOS.

iPhoto or Aperture, iMovie or Final Cut Pro, ....

So I also vote :

a) for VW (2D) vs VW Pro

b) freedom of choice of which localized Standards and Tools to use or to hide

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2

I do primarily custom residential and Architect works for me.  The only Landmark feature I wish was included is the retaining wall site modifier but I’m able to work around that.  If you do in-house planting/irrigation then it might be worth the upgrade.  I haven’t looked deeply at any of the Spotlight tools though I can’t think of any I’d want. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, trearchitecture1 said:

Thanks for the reply.  What specific features would you see as being needed that are lacking in Architect?  The one that catches my eye is upgraded site modeling.  Thanks,

the site modeling and planting tools seem to be the main thing my architect clients and people on the forum want.  It’s funny, I use all the building BIM tools to develop my context buildings for landscape renderings and the occasional residential ADU, pool house, or shed.

• Like 1

@trearchitecture1 Thanks.

I'm guessing you'd be fine saving some money and sticking with Architect.  Most of the terrain modeling (DTM) is available in Architect.  If you like the look of photorealistic presentation renderings, the integration with Twinmotion (which you can get for free via VW for a limited time) offers a good solution, though I haven't tried it myself.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, E|FA said:

I do primarily custom residential and Architect works for me.  The only Landmark feature I wish was included is the retaining wall site modifier but I’m able to work around that.  If you do in-house planting/irrigation then it might be worth the upgrade.  I haven’t looked deeply at any of the Spotlight tools though I can’t think of any I’d want. 

We already utilize Enscape in our workflow, so we are all set on the presentation renderings and VR end.  It sounds like VW Architect will suffice for the time being.  Thanks,