Mimic the generation of a terrain with basic 3d tools and operations?

Hello,

I am a user of the Spotlight version of VW but from time to time I need to generate a terrain surface by contour lines.

Is there a way to do this with basic 3d tools and operations as a way to mimic the particular functionality of the Architecture/ Landscape or Design Version?

Any help appreciated,

VVierA

You should investigate the Loft Surface tool which will allow you to create a terrain using successive NURBS curves as contours in order to build up a solid shape.

The Subdivision tool is also a good tool for this kind of work and is a more interactive way of achieving a terrain. However, it has quite a steep

learning curve which it doesn’t sound like  you need for now.

Edited by markdd

2 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

I have extruded a number of organic shapes from topography. Then I have done (or not, as needed) a drape surface.

Thank you. That way I get pretty decent looking results. But I'm looking for a way to generate a terrain, that does not only look good, but represent the actual measurements of the reality accurately.

5 hours ago, markdd said:

You should investigate the Loft Surface tool which will allow you to create a terrain using successive NURBS curves as contours in order to build up a solid shape.

The Subdivision tool is also a good tool for this kind of work and is a more interactive way of achieving a terrain. However, it has quite a steep

learning curve which it doesn’t sound like  you need for now.

Yes, thank you. This looks promising. But I already tried it and it only got me some weird results. The surface didn't match the contour lines the way one should expect.

Maybe I did something wrong and try again.

2 hours ago, VvierA said:

5 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

I have extruded a number of organic shapes from topography. Then I have done (or not, as needed) a drape surface.

Thank you. That way I get pretty decent looking results. But I'm looking for a way to generate a terrain, that does not only look good, but represent the actual measurements of the reality accurately.

if you start with a topographic map and have the elevations that should be reasonably accurate. 

I think once you have the topography there is a convert to command 

31 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

if you start with a topographic map and have the elevations that should be reasonably accurate. 

I think once you have the topography there is a convert to command 

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. So I have a topographic map with contour lines. I move every contour line to the corresponding z-level.

But how do I convert this into a surface of some kind?

18 hours ago, VvierA said:

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. So I have a topographic map with contour lines. I move every contour line to the corresponding z-level.

@Tom W. goes through the process. If the Topo is vector, use the lines to make polys. You can also use the Polygon tools and the Paint Bucket option to make a Poly, then extrude the poly as needed and move the extrusion to the appropriate Z level.

Imagine elif you were using cardboard to stack topo layers.

• Like 2