Is v2022 worth installing?

I've purchased both 2021 and 2022, but I'm still using 2020 because I haven't heard anything that makes it seem worthwhile to update.  I'm strongly considering discontinuing my Service Select.  Can anyone with good architectural experience with VW give me a good reason or two to continue getting updates?  Even some minor improvements would be worthwhile, though I have to admit that VW's failure to understand the importance of screen plane objects is deeply discouraging as an indication of future trends.

But, for example, window sills in 3d have never (ever) worked - is that working now?  Window and door types do not correspond to common real-world objects, such as multiple track sliding doors.  And my current pet peeve, there is no longer a way to model a U-configured stairs with two landings at the turn instead of 1 (for some reason you can do 2 landings and 1 step, but not 2 landings).

Edited by P Retondo

Well, for me it was mainly :

On 1/7/2022 at 11:40 PM, zoomer said:

Walls and their Components are real Solids now.

Window Openings can therefore get real Wall Components "framing" (?)

For Mac users it brought native Apple Silicon support. Unexpectedly, VW Windows is now also

DirectX.

Plus I now have access to Australian WinDoor Tool.

Or Twinmotion Exchange. Or Materials by Face.

Would have to read the Release Notes again to remember all what I like in special.

Edited by zoomer

Right, but walls were solids before - in other words, you can cut through them in sections, etc.  I don't quite understand what you mean.  I've overlaid window openings with custom 3d objects before, not sure what difference you are seeing.

WinDoor would be cool to have - is that in the US version?  I used to own it as a 3rd party add-on.  It was way cumbersome, but, if so, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for in an upgrade.  Just a few little improvements would keep me happy!

BTW, I started with MiniCAD version 2, I think.  This software was originally based on the idea of a hybrid 2D/3D environment, and at that time there was no such thing as a "Screen Plane" object, all 2D objects were in true two dimensions (unlike ACAD, which always had a Z component to their objects).  Then I guess VW got AutoCAD jealous, and had to put a Z component on 2D objects, which were then called "Layer Plane."  That's when VW started to lose its original inspiration, which was solidly based on centuries of 2D design and representation of 3D objects, linked to the new 3D modeling capabilities of fast computers.

1 hour ago, P Retondo said:

Right, but walls were solids before - in other words, you can cut through them in sections, etc.  I don't quite understand what you mean.  I've overlaid window openings with custom 3d objects before, not sure what difference you are seeing.

If you ungrouped Walls before you only had a bunch of loose Faces.

Same for Exports like DWG.

No you have true (Parasolid Modeling Core) (Generic) Solids.

Before Walls just faked a 3D edibility for things like cutting out Windows or Doors.

Touching Slab Components (arbitrarily) added extra unnecessary tesselation

in Wall Faces - or not.

Now Solids may open up future options for calculating real (correct) volumes or areas.

Edited by zoomer
1 hour ago, P Retondo said:

WinDoor would be cool to have - is that in the US version? 

You can download it as a "Plugin"

Menu > Help > 3rd party products > WinDoor

(But AFAIK the future of WinDoor Plugin is to deprecate it once all of its

features went into the standard VW Window and Door Tools,

for technical reasons)

No, you don't have to pay for it. It's included for free with 2022. I've not yet had time to experiment with it a lot, but it does look better than the "standard" window and door tools (it would be difficult for anything to be worse). It's designed mainly for an Oz/NZ market I think and I've yet to see whether that matters, for users in other regions.

On your question about windowsills, someone might correct me but I think they still don't work properly.

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 2

One thing to think about regarding getting started with WinDoor is that it looks like it won't be getting long term development and support (this was noted by a VW employee in another thread).  VW has been pretty good about keeping legacy tools operational, so depending on your needs it could still be a worthwhile change.