Border and notes in DWG exports

It won't matter what class you use, typically its something like "A Notes" or "Title Block". If you're selecting it from the list A-ANNO-NOTE or A-ANNO-TTLB or A-ANNO-TEXT would all be reasonable. If you want to control the border separate from the text go ahead and make a class for it as well.

Obviously make sure you can see them in your viewport in VW, and check also that your drawing is set in top plan in the viewport OIP.

Here's what I do:

Create the title block on a design layer in its own file, 1:1 is fine, include everything but the sheet name & number.

Reference that into design layers of project drawings. Don't draw anything else on those particular layers. (only ref once per file)

Viewport the TB from its design layer into the sheets. You only need to do this once, you can copy and paste-in-place the VP from sheet to sheet.

On the different sheets place the individual sheet names & numbers.

[ 04-27-2005, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Delmer ]

Go back and edit the title block file. When you open your drawing file it will automatically update. If it is not set to auto update go under Organize to Workgroup References, select the particular file, click update.

My setup is made for keeping the TB current in all sheets of all drawings of a given project. If you are looking to have different revision dates on different drawings then that should go on the sheets with the drawing name & number.

-- I guess I should say that I reference the TB because shortly after the initial design is settled I separate my drawings; plans in one file, elevations in another etc.

[ 04-29-2005, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Delmer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Delmer:

...I guess I should say that I reference the TB because shortly after the initial design is settled I separate my drawings; plans in one file, elevations in another etc.

I am curious as to why you create these multiple files?

Any time a file takes more than 2 seconds to autosave I break it down. It saves me a little time and adds a bit of security against file corruption. If I'm not working with a model any more but am solely in 2D then paste in place works as well between files as it does between layers.

Thanks Delmer. Now I understand. My projects are 15 to 30 sheets. I can see where 180 sheets could be a problem.

I guess it is time that I take a look at the manual and see how to use Workgroup Referencing. I always though it was only to allow multiple people to work on the same file.

I had tried the more-than-one-person-at-one-time approach, though admittedly it was with ArchiCAD and it just wasn't for me. If there are multiple people working on the drawing files I find it much easier to keep them straight if people stick to their one file at a time -or rather files stick to one person at a time. I am sure if you had the right two or three people with good communication and decent protocol it would work fine. Different pen strokes for different folks.

quote:

Originally posted by Delmer:

Go back and edit the title block file. When you open your drawing file it will automatically update...

I'm not sure how to do that. I click on the border and I can edit some things in the Obj Info, but not delete any old Revisions. I certainly can add them there.

I mean, if you had created the title block in its own file, open that file and edit. References are linked files and will update all files that use them.

-But if you say you can edit some things in the OIP then are you using one of the stock TBs within your file and not workgroup referencing? I think with the revisions for those TBs you just have to enter your info as text on your drawing and not through the PIO.