Magicq HED file to Vectorworks

Hi there,

I recently downloaded vectorworks, it's great at everything but i'm missing a few fixtures. The Showtec phantom 30, Showtec powerspot 9 q6 and the showtec pixelbar aren't in the libraries. I already submitted them btw. My question is if there is a way to use the fixture file from magicq (HED) or import it to vectorworks, or is there another easy way to transfer them to vw? I tried the GDTF builder but it didn't really worked so...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Olivier

Glad you are enjoying Spotlight,

I'm afraid we don't directly support any consoles proprietary fixture personality files. The only way we can do this is with GDTF.

However you can create your own fixture types either by duplicating and editing an existing fixture or from scratch.

Duplicating and editing an existing lighting device is the easier option,

find a lighting device in the default library that is similar geometry wise to what you require,

you will need the light in your active file resources, so either import it (right click on the desired light in the library and select import) or by double clicking on it to activate the lighting instrument tool, which will also import it.

once its in the active file resources you can edit it

there are 2 methods you can use for this

•  in the resource manager right click on the symbol and select attach record from the context menu, then select the light info record and hit the edit values button. This will open the symbols attached data record and you can directly edit it. Also make sure you change the symbol name so that if you ever use the original symbol it won't overwrite your custom one. lastly save the symbol into a favorites or user folder.
  • Use the lighting symbol maintenance command in the Spotlight Reports Menu. Once the dialogue is open select the symbol and hit the edit butoon to access the lights data.

• Like 1