2022: How is this possible? Two objects both show y = 0'0"

mjm

Question

1111698883_ScreenShot2022-01-04at12_50_34PM.thumb.png.ac5a9995fddb72d3385212db7bc8f473.pngHow is this possible? Two objects both show y = 0'0", yet they're clearly not in the same space. I have copied and pasted these elements to new blank files, no joy. Restart VWX 2022? You betcha. Restart 2019 MBP? Yepper.

One is a simple line, the other a simple 2d locus.

This has shut down productivity for the past 45 minutes. Two screenshots and a file with the offending elements attached.

The OIP lists which element is selected correctly. Mind blown here.

Input gratefully received.

Where's_Zero anyways.vwx

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 12.50.20 PM.png

Edited by mjm
Insert image to body of post

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure I understand your question, but in case it helps, here's a screenshot of what I see in your file (object attributes changed for clarity):

Locus x=-26'7", y=0

Line x=-26'5.767", y=.24", ∆x= 48'1.933", ∆y=-.48"

EDIT:  the center of the line appears to be at y=0'0", which might be what you're looking for.  You might need to change the Document Units precision settings to see this.

112685020_ScreenShot2022-01-04at1_52_08PM.thumb.jpg.7c6499331c282411b2cceef04b343fbb.jpg

Edited by E|FA
Center of line
17 minutes ago, E|FA said:

I'm not sure I understand your question, but in case it helps, here's a screenshot of what I see in your file (object attributes changed for clarity):

Locus x=-26'7", y=0

Line x=-26'5.767", y=.24", ∆x= 48'1.933", ∆y=-.48"

EDIT:  the center of the line appears to be at y=0'0", which might be what you're looking for.  You might need to change the Document Units precision settings to see this.

112685020_ScreenShot2022-01-04at1_52_08PM.thumb.jpg.7c6499331c282411b2cceef04b343fbb.jpg

Hey thanks so much @E|FA. If the center of that blue line were @ 0,0 (like the locus), they'd line up center-to-center. That is def not whats occurring. Also, I did boost Document units to max in at least one version of the attempts I tried & still no joy.

On my setup it does look like the center of the blue line aligns vertically with the locus.  I added a magenta horizontal line from the locus, and a vertical line at the center of the blue line, and they appear to meet, and then the blue line drops below the magenta line.  I'm attaching a video.  I hope this helps your troubleshooting

EDIT: Looks like the math works out as well: 

Diagram.thumb.jpg.5bad59ca4eed2074bc792620d98187cf.jpg

Edited by E|FA
Add diagram
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, mjm said:

Hey thanks so much @E|FA. If the center of that blue line were @ 0,0 (like the locus), they'd line up center-to-center. That is def not whats occurring. Also, I did boost Document units to max in at least one version of the attempts I tried & still no joy.

The line is at a small angle, which is making the end points offset slightly.  Select the line, make sure the center control point is active, and change the angle to 0.  Then everything lines up.

• Like 1
On 1/4/2022 at 3:52 PM, mdrohn said:

The line is at a small angle, which is making the end points offset slightly.  Select the line, make sure the center control point is active, and change the angle to 0.  Then everything lines up.

Thanks very much. This is apparently what I was missing. I'm sorry now I did not save that dwg in that state so as to explore how I missed the slight rotation.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:15 PM, E|FA said:

On my setup it does look like the center of the blue line aligns vertically with the locus.  I added a magenta horizontal line from the locus, and a vertical line at the center of the blue line, and they appear to meet, and then the blue line drops below the magenta line.  I'm attaching a video.  I hope this helps your troubleshooting

EDIT: Looks like the math works out as well: 

Diagram.thumb.jpg.5bad59ca4eed2074bc792620d98187cf.jpg

Super duper info & loved the pencil sketch. As I expected, user error. Now to track down how I missed that.

Your time & energy much appreciated

• Like 1