VW11.5: Text Callout Tool has lost it's data

Kevin

I had to erase my hard drive and reinstall applications and reinstall documents from backups.

When I try to edit an established text callout, I get a generic VW database. My custom text is shown on the plan as I expect. The problem is when I double click on the callout, I cannot edit the text.

Was this data put somewhere other than the individual project file? How do I solve this?

Ouch...

If your familiar with invisible files , you will discover ".ds_store"

in each of the VW directories ( folders). When you copied over the old directory structure the links were severed. Just take a moment .. try this :

>Quit VW

>trash preferences

>trash the .ds_store files for the various libraries.

>relaunch VW

In the future to avoid many of these issues always use a Back-Up Utility.

Thank you EJ, I appreciate your help. I luckily found the solution which was not all that difficult.

There is a checkbox in the OIP of the Callout Tool that says "Get Text from Datatbase". I never noticed this before.

For whatever reason, when I reopened my restored project file the checkbox was checked. This apparently sent the Callout Tool looking for Database info.

I unchecked the box and the text edit dialog window opened as expected.

Valuable lessions have been learned here regarding backing up. I backed up my documents, but not the applications. Now it is time to back up the entire disk volume, not just documents.