Working drawing examples

I am very dissapointed with the tutorial material and the online help in one respect. It does not tell you where to draw stuff. For example,

1. I am trying to figure out how to draw an overhead beam that should show dashed line in Floor plan but solid line in Reflected Ceiling. I would prefer not drawing the same item twice in different layers since keeping tabs of changes to duplicate items is a pain, esp in 3D.

2. Some parts of my bldg have ceilings while others do not and you actually see the roof (a flat conc. slab). In Refl Ceiling Plan view, if I set the Roof layer as visible it will show on top of the Ceiling layer and thus you see no ceiling. If you change the layer positions to Roof under Ceiling then the prob is you see the ceiling on top in the Roof Plan. In other CAD prog I use I can decide (or reverse in this case) the layer positions any every layer setup. Possible?

RPG

Thank You for your reply.

1. I still have not figured a high tech solution. Yours is as good as any: draw it twice and get the job done. I'm too new for workgroup references.

2. I decided, in order to get the job done, not to show the roof layer in the Ceiling Plan and instead substitute it fior a Roof-Outline class. And again, this roof outline (dashed) is needed in Floor Plan in order to establish where the roof ends. So the same item repeated 3 times.

I really forgot that the reason for this post is to inquire if there are any sample drawings that one could study to learn about layers and classes. It would help me, and I am sure many others, a lot more than verbal explanations. Maybe someone would like to share his or her setup.

Thanks for any help.

we have the same approach- never draw the same thing twice. but sometimes, you need to just to get the job done, especially with small projects. one solution to your problem is the duplicate the beam and roof, and change the class.

another is to use workgroup references and have a separate file for ceiling/power/lighting plans. it is usefull in bigger projects but can be used for any.

i have put this in the wish list, but a perfect workaround would being able to control class attributes in individual viewports. we will see. hope this helps.

Ramon,

It doth appear that every User has developed a special 'Secret Recipe Book' for handling various situations. Trial & Error evolution of process & protocols. I recommend to all users that they never send a full set of dynamic VW documents around but only PDF or DWG of various completed processes. This basic copyright protects them & their clients. This may be a partial reason we rarely see completed project files posted ( also size is an issue ).

VW install normally includes an 'extras' sample of a basic residential plan with Layers, Classes, & Symbol.Check your installation folders for it.

Ramon,

Jonathan didn't mention that his training manual includes one (excellent, in my opinion) method of organizing your drawing. It's aimed primarily at the architectural-type of drawing, but will give you an excellent primer in the use of layers, symbols, classes, text/callouts, etc. After our new hires go through his tutorial, it's a fairly short leap to our inhouse protocols.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a quicker way to get up to speed.

Good luck,

Thank You all for your comments. My 'extras' folder Islandmon writes about has nothing of the sort and the "sample" folder only includes:

Air Cylinder.mcd

Collar.mcd

Mfg Example

Butterfly Valve

Adjacency Matrix.csv

PCB Assembly.mcd

Survey File.txt

No Architectural drawings.