Hardscape Object Draw 3D Types Missing?

Will M

Hello,

I've been messing around trying to get more fluent with Vectorworks 2022. I'm new to Vectorworks in general.  I want a hypothetical walk, currently set as a Hardscape Object, to function as a site modifier. The way I understand to do this is to change the Draw 3D type to Slab Modifier or Aligned Slab Modifier, but those options are not in the dropdown menu in Hardscape Object Settings. All tutorials I've found deal with older versions of Vectorworks and show more Draw 3D types than what I have, but I don't know if the version is the issue. I am able to set the Site Modifier to top/bottom but I assume that's meaningless if the 3D type is not appropriate. The Hardscape Object is configured as a Boundary. Screenshot attached. Thanks!

Hardscape Screenshot.jpg

As you've realised, Hardscapes changed in VW2022 + now the different configurations are split between three different panes in the settings. So the way you're doing it is correct: choose 'Slab' type in the 'Draw 3D' pane then 'Modifier at the top' in the 'Site Modifier' pane + this is the equivalent of choosing 'Slab Modifier (Top)' in previous versions. I think this is an improvement on before, plus Hardscapes can now be styled which is great too. 

It is definitely very confusing when you go through the training videos, trying to determine whether what you're watching is relevant to the version of VW you're using. There really should be the capacity to filter the videos by version.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Tom W. said:

As you've realised, Hardscapes changed in VW2022 + now the different configurations are split between three different panes in the settings. So the way you're doing it is correct: choose 'Slab' type in the 'Draw 3D' pane then 'Modifier at the top' in the 'Site Modifier' pane + this is the equivalent of choosing 'Slab Modifier (Top)' in previous versions. I think this is an improvement on before, plus Hardscapes can now be styled which is great too. 

It is definitely very confusing when you go through the training videos, trying to determine whether what you're watching is relevant to the version of VW you're using. There really should be the capacity to filter the videos by version.

Thanks Tom. I had Site Modifier Top selected for this object. I made sure the calculations for the object were updated and also updated the site model. The site model view settings for both 3D and 2D are set to Proposed Only. I tried moving the hardscape object around, and the site model would not register that there were any changes ('Update' turning red to flag that it needs updating). It feels like the site model is not recognizing this object as a modifier for some reason. Any thoughts there?

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

In the site model settings do you have the site model set to be modified by the layer the Hardscape is on?

916456811_Screenshot2022-01-03at18_43_02.thumb.png.6597f6eae6dbf185c9d29e5582301569.png

That was the issue. Thank you. I should have gotten that clue last night when I was testing pads and it didn't work until I put the pad on the same layer as the site model. I did not realize this was a setting. Much appreciated. 

• Like 3