Design Layers in 3D View

reem

I am a new VectorWorks user creating a 3D model. Can someone explain the logic of how Design Layers work in 3D View. I have my 3D model separated into layers (Mod-Slab-1, Mod-Floor-1, Mod-Roof, ect.) per the VW User's Manual. I can't figure out how to view the model as a whole entity. When I go to View>Standard View>Right Isometric, for example, the 3d view is displayed for the active layer. How do I look at a 3d view of the whole building?

Also, what is the best way to set-up layers when working in 3D? Does anyone have a layering system that is different from the one in the book?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ramon,

Create your "whole" model like you indicate: layer link the various design layers together on one design layer (we call this layer 3D Composite). You can't edit from here but you can do a Save View (which will memorize whatever View you had showing when saved), and then return by selecting that Save View. If you've been careful with the layer Z-height, all of the links will come in at the proper vertical alignment.

Hope that helps,

"I can't figure out how to view the model as a whole entity. When I go to View>Standard View>Right Isometric, for example, the 3d view is displayed for the active layer. How do I look at a 3d view of the whole building?"

Layer Link an Model View do it, but how about an editable or live 3D of the whole building? It's really strange to have to double-click a 3D model and have it revert to the Plan/Top view of the layer; then you have to go back and select 3D from the Standard Views menu.

Is there a way to achieve this?