Site Model Training or Guides?

kawchman

I've been using Vectorworks Landmark for a long time but really only for 2D purposes and I'm now really trying to get a grasp on the 3D capabilities and some of the features that I feel like Vectorworks is really pushing. I work in high end residential landscape architecture and many of our sites are sloping and complex. We use a lot of irregular materials and custom items so I often get frustrated with some of the tutorials that over simplify the process by using a completely flat site and pretty standard materials. 

At the risk of being too long winded, I'm wondering if there are any definitive training guides on the 3D modeling and a good workflow process to get started with this. I've played around and made a few site models but I'm having a hard time understanding when I should be using hardscapes or site modifiers etc... etc... 

I feel like I could post a million questions on here and maybe they've already been answered so I'll snoop around but I feel like it's all very overwhelming. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

I was in a similar position on the architecture side a few years ago.  In addition to the forum, try:

https://university.vectorworks.net/course/index.php#coursestab

@Jonathan Pickup's Archoncad website and courses were especially helpful:

https://archoncad.com

https://store.archoncad.com/courses/landscape/

You might ask Jonathan if the Landscape courses are being updated and/or the content is still relevant.

• Like 2

@jeff prince Wow, this is amazing help thank you so much. This is my other account for work but there's a ton of good information in here. I realized the issue with creating the model from the contours sent by the surveyor (they had like 1,000 verticies!) I ended up tracing my own simpler 3D poly's and putting loci along it and it ended up a much smoother model. Definitely not a fast process but it seemed to work. 

Still having some issues with getting my driveway to work out since it has parking areas associated with it and the site model wants to regrade every time and it ends up wonky. 

Anyway, I'm getting there. Hopefully It'll smooth out. I'm definitely saving your post though!

Thank you!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JonKoch said:

Still having some issues with getting my driveway to work out since it has parking areas associated with it and the site model wants to regrade every time and it ends up wonky. 

Anyway, I'm getting there. Hopefully It'll smooth out. I'm definitely saving your post though!

Thank you!

Glad it was helpful.  Don’t forget to create some grade limits before you get to far along.