VW 2022 - Hidden Line Rendering fail

Kennedyme

Question

Hello,

I am using the trial version of 2022 design suite, and when I render in Hidden Line, some extrusions render like a messed up wireframe (top horizontals invisible, other parts like wireframe). If I create the shape as a solid, it renders fine. Other extrusions render fine. 

What's up?

About this PC.jpg

About vectorworks.jpg

12 answers to this question

On 12/21/2021 at 5:03 AM, zoomer said:

All 3D objects need a solid Fill in Attributes for rendering.

Otherwise they will appear a wireframe objects.

Can you check if the problematic objects have a solid fill color ?

I have checked that, but that is not the problem. The objects are appearing solid using most other render modes, including Shaded, Dashed Hidden Line, Final Quality RW, even Artistic RW.... However, not Hidden Line or Polygons with Lines. While I am actively using the Flyover Tool the hidden line rendering looks correct, but when I am no longer 'Flying Over,' and it renders, some items are rendered correctly, while others are missing lines, so as to appear inside-out. It's definitely a glitch of some sort. 

(Fyi, I have been using vwx for almost 25 years)

@Kennedyme I was experiencing something similar with Hidden Line rendering on the design layer, which I assume is what you are talking about as well as you refer to using the Flyover Tool. In my case it was more to do with surface hatches not displaying rather than objects displaying in wireframe instead of solid, although this may have been happening as well + I just didn't notice it. Things were rendering absolutely fine in viewports, but on the design layer, if I switched to Hidden Line to check how the surface hatches were looking, I'd find that the surface hatches would display correctly whilst zooming/rotating, but when I stopped + the render finished resolving itself the surface hatches would disappear. Or rather some would remain present whilst others wouldn't. But this doesn't seem to be happening anymore in the files I'm currently working on so not sure if it was to do with files created using the initial service pack as I have had some other issues with those files as well that remain despite installing the new service pack, whilst files created after the new service pack have been fine.

Do your objects render correctly in VPs?

Is the affected file or files ones that were created in SP1 or SP2?

@Tom W. This problem happens in VPs, also. The files were created before vwx 2022 by people in my company–perhaps in 2020. However, I did not have this problem until vwx 2022 SP2.

I attached some screenshots. The first is hidden line. Second has the background render as shaded and foreground as hidden line. the third is Renderworks Colors White.

936162016_ScreenShot2022-01-05at11_22_13AM.thumb.png.87013fa0ca60c3c4c3f09477feafa34d.png924112925_ScreenShot2022-01-05at11_24_32AM.thumb.png.c631549346b11621961ca56b51887c24.png

• Like 1

Looks like the tree branches, the cabinets on right end and several wall pieces are the problems. Are any of those objects symbols or groups or other container objects? The container class or the classes of the contained objects might have no fill, and therefore render WF. Anyway a trouble shoot idea: Copy/paste the problem objects into a new blank file for testing. Post it here, too. Somehow this can be solved!

-B

• Like 1
On 1/5/2022 at 11:48 PM, Benson Shaw said:

Looks like the tree branches, the cabinets on right end and several wall pieces are the problems. Are any of those objects symbols or groups or other container objects? The container class or the classes of the contained objects might have no fill, and therefore render WF. Anyway a trouble shoot idea: Copy/paste the problem objects into a new blank file for testing. Post it here, too. Somehow this can be solved!

-B

Thanks, I'll try that. Btw, the cabinets are not an issue, because they are intentionally without a fill. The trees are the issue. Some of the branches are groups inside of symbols.

Mark