Framing Section Drawing?

LarryAZ

I seem to send a large percentage of my time drawing the framing section. I do a 3D section of the house then ungroup and erase lines for hours on the design layer. Make a view port to the framing sheet and draw annotation until I have a drawing. It seems like the most crude thing I do with VW.

Does anyone have a better way to create this required sheet that is more efficient?

Thanks for your help.

Don - the convert copy to lines is definite improvment. The erasing is much easier now. I wish all the lines over the round windows and archways were deleted with the hidden line.

Now do you do the rest of your drawing on the design layer with a vew port to your sheet layer? It looks like that would be the correct procedure rather than annotating the view port.

Chris - I'm only learning but what I would like is to get a section that looks real. Something without all the crazy lines everywhere that hidden line doesn't remove. I'm not sure how DL would work but I'll be happy to learn it.

Thank you both for the help.

FWIW, I always enjoy the (tedious) task of drawing building sections as it is only then that I begin to learn what I need to know (and communicate to the builder) about the complications, both major and minor, that are present in even the simplest of structures. A teacher-friend has often told me, "You can never draw too many sections". :-)

Peter,

Having been a framer, that may be the wisest thing I've ever heard from someone on the other "side" of the blueprint.

I'm reluctant to even share how much detail I put into sections. . .you guys would all think I'm nuts! ('course, you'd have to get in line) [Razz]

Travis,

I would like to see one of your section details. Would you be willing to do a screen capture and show me one? I find this is the most time consuming area of a set of plans and one I need to learn more about.

Also do you use the "convert copy to lines" command and then draw your section details on that line object, on the section design layer? Then put it on a section sheet via a veiw port?

I find that it is only on the detailed sections that I can work out the details of the construction, so I use the Cut 3D Section to generate the line drawing of the sections, then I use details from my library if they are suitable, or I use detail components such as timber, flashings, gutters, etc.

Here is the section where most of the work takes place:

-

From this section I can generate the details on the foundation sheet:

-

and here is one of the details....

-

I think that this is powerful... and quick...

• 2 weeks later...